German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup has had some issues with his back legs... when he was younger he was cow-hocked and a bit down on his pasterns. He is now 8 months old and looking MUCH better but I still want to get him x-ray'd... I've heard do it now and I've heard do it at a year, does it make any difference?

Here is he now for reference... I haven't yet been able to get a picture of a good stack so this is the best I've got. He is still a bit cow-hocked back there. It's somewhat hard to tell with the fur but he is very lean, 63 pounds and about 24 inches at the shoulder.

And if it makes any difference, he's currently eating Honest Kitchen and gets, fish oil, coconut, Legacy horse pellets and Feed-Sentials supplements.

Untitled (2013-05-05 17:40:34) by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_9069 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_9077 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_9067 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

IMG_9037 by Carriesue82, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I usually xray around 18mths, growth plates closed, it is what it is at that point. He's gorgeouse by the way:)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Most breeders will have a 1 yr hip warranty on their pups. In order to be within their coverage, you'd have to x-ray by 1yr.

We did Storm's at 1yr to follow our contract, but also to make sure she was ok to go further in sports.... and for my sanity. She'll be done again in a year or so for OFA certification.

Personally, I think 1 yr is ok to do them... but if you don't have a warranty with the breeder, and/or you don't do any sort of sports (or anything hard on their body)..... then waiting til 2 probably more desirable for accurate results. If you have concerns though, then instead of stressing out.... I'd probably just go ahead with 1 x-ray to get an answer or settle my mind.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually xray around 18mths, growth plates closed, it is what it is at that point. He's gorgeouse by the way:)
Thank you! That was my main concern doing it too early and that's around the age I was thinking of neutering him if I decide to. Are you usually able to get them from the vet and send them to the OFA yourself?

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most breeders will have a 1 yr hip warranty on their pups. In order to be within their coverage, you'd have to x-ray by 1yr.

We did Storm's at 1yr to follow our contract, but also to make sure she was ok to go further in sports.... and for my sanity. She'll be done again in a year or so for OFA certification.

Personally, I think 1 yr is ok to do them... but if you don't have a warranty with the breeder, and/or you don't do any sort of sports (or anything hard on their body)..... then waiting til 2 probably more desirable for accurate results. If you have concerns though, then instead of stressing out.... I'd probably just go ahead with 1 x-ray to get an answer or settle my mind.
And good point about waiting to do OFA until he's older. We will most likely be doing herding, plus with the issues he is/was having I'd just like some peace of mind that nothing horrendous is going on so want to do it soon.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can see how bad his back legs used to be here, he was around 4 months in this video. I've been working really hard to get him where he is now! Though I know his back legs still need a lot more work in building muscle. And the weaving around is what youtube did do my video, not the dogs. :)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You can see how bad his back legs used to be here, he was around 4 months in this video. I've been working really hard to get him where he is now! Though I know his back legs still need a lot more work in building muscle. And the weaving around is what youtube did do my video, not the dogs. :)

On The Trail - YouTube
Omg I never knew his legs used to be so cowhocked O: seeing all his playing videos recently they got so much better, good job Carrie ^_^

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
If you want OFA rating, they won't ofa until he's two. I just sent them to OFA via my vet, they take care of sending it etc..I also xray elbows (and send to OFA), and usually knees/spine/shoulders as well. Since I want the big picture , they are also good to have as a reference for the future should anything crop up and/or to see structural changes etc

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
And good point about waiting to do OFA until he's older. We will most likely be doing herding, plus with the issues he is/was having I'd just like some peace of mind that nothing horrendous is going on so want to do it soon.
That's why, regardless of breeder contracts, I would have done x-rays. I needed proof that they were good. With 2 dogs with issues now... I just needed some reassurance that the 3rd was ok. Also, now that we are getting further into sports, I really wanted to make sure we had the go ahead to continue with her training. I'm glad I did it... it was well worth the money. It put my mind at ease.

On The Trail - YouTube
Wow! He's much better! What a huge difference!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts