German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

looks like my puppy 3.5 month old walks differently. Do you see any issue ? he is SL GSD

Thanks
Amit

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
Post a video so people can offer an opinion:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I a going to check with vet once he is 4 month old. is there any way I can fix him in home meanwhile ?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I think he just needs to grow into himself. They all look/walk a bit funny until their bodies are more in proportion

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I want to know where these puppies are all coming from??
This is the fourth? thread in the past few months about SL pups that walk funny. This little one is not as bad as the others but holy crap what are these animals being bred for?
He is a cutie BTW and looks full of himself.

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
amit1cs you can't change the structure he was born with.What you can do is let him run around and exercise himself at his own pace,on natural surfaces(grass,dirt,gravel).Avoid cement whenever possible and not a lot of jumping or stairs.
He doesn't look as bad as some,like Sabi mentioned.His back-end swings in an exaggerated manner and he's almost walking on his hocks but not quite.He does look happy and playful.With good food and moderate exercise he'll be the best he can be.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks All, yes he is very sweet and intelligent. I fell in love with my puppy when I saw him 1st. But I worried now, I hope he will be fine.

I will check with VET and let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where did you get your puppy from? My puppy and yours look exactly alike. My puppy is 6 months old and I got him at almost 5 months and he is the same way. I took him to the Vet right away and he was diagnosed unfit for sale. I have been fighting with the Breeder from beginning. My guy is so unsteady on back legs that he will not go down stairs if it is more than 3.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello,

I got him from a breeder in Fremont, CA - https://www.facebook.com/MOBGSD/

I dont see any issue with stairs right now, he climbs up and down all day. He dont run fast :( may be due to his age.

I started giving him some hip and joint support supplement. Let see how it goes . I will chck with VET after 1 month, but I learned a lesson NEVER BUY A SHOWLINE GSD. :( :(

Thanks
Amit

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
NEVER BUY A SHOWLINE GSD
What? Why? Just because you have ONE SL dog that isn't normal? That has nothing to do with which lines the dog came from and has everything to do with the poor breeder. Please don't blame show lines, because there are some amazing show line dogs out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah you are right they are amazing dog ... my dog is amazing as well ... but I will be careful with show line due to their body structure.

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
The FB page of this breeder is big time marketing: "puppies for show or breeding" (??) One post from Sept 10, 2017 I see the male standing on his pasterns like a bunny. I am not 100% sure but it looks like the pups are weak in their front feet. Correct me if I am wrong.
Saying that "you shouldn't buy a show line dog" applies to this breeder for sure but not in general (my personal opinion). All lines have good and lesser quality breeders. It is up to the potential owner to select the best pup. It took me two decades. If I had known about this forum years ago, I would have had my GSD way earlier.
By the way OP, do not let your pup walk stairs (!!) or exercise on hard pavement. Be careful with supplements. If you feed a good quality large breed puppy food, supplements will do more harm than good.
Good luck with your puppy, enjoy him.

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
Yeah you are right they are amazing dog ... my dog is amazing as well ... but I will be careful with show line due to their body structure.
They're not made of glass. Our wgsl was made from spring steel,lol! that boy could jump, even launching from a stand still he could clear several feet. He stayed within our 6 foot fenced yard out of respect as it was no obstacle for him. Our new pup is also wgsl and he's young yet, but he's no slouch either, He definitely has no quit in him.

You need to take some precautions due to age, but lines?? Nope, not imop.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I am switching from Kirkland puppy food to Blue large puppy food this month. I hope it will make some difference.

Yes, he is my 1st pup and I did not know what to see when choosing a breeder and pup. This community will differently help in choosing next pup.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Thanks, I am switching from Kirkland puppy food to Blue large puppy food this month. I hope it will make some difference.

Yes, he is my 1st pup and I did not know what to see when choosing a breeder and pup. This community will differently help in choosing next pup.
Do yourself and your puppy a favor and stay away from anything BLUE makes! Kirkland should be fine, it's a middle of the road food and many dogs do just fine on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts