German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I have a 13 month old neutered (at 8 months) male GSD. On 12-27-12 he broke his back right leg below the knee - spiral fracture tibia. Casted for 8 weeks. Cast came off -everything looked good. 10 days ago he started to point his toes out and twist his knee when walking. Vet recommended rest and to see a rehab vet. Went to the rehab vet this am and was told she did not think it was his knee but a hip or maybe even back problem. She recommended a new set of films of his hips and back (we go on Monday) and also to see a chiropractor.

I have never had any experience with a vet. chiropractor - I am hoping someone may be able to give me some advice..and point me in the right direction I am located in Southwest VA.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I would think the muscles would have atrophied after 8 weeks...I know when I broke my knee cap (right), I didn't have noticable muscle loss, but took
quite awhile to be able to use stairs up or down w/o holding a rail or doiong one stair at a time (alternating stairs left and right leg) - rather I had to step and bring other leg to same step and that was only 4 weeks.

I would look at strength training, low impact (even sit/stand, sit/stand)as you do not want to blow out a knee or have unilateral HD from compensating do to the break.

Nutritional suppliments that work to repair ligaments (elasticity), muscles to hold legs/joints in place

RAW feeding is great as give 100% of the amino acids needed for muscle repair as well the enzymes to convert - i.e. glutamine, NAC

Home-made (specifiacally) Bone stock (chicken frames, joints, cartildge re: type II collagen huge for tissue repair) as well vit.c which is also req'd for collagen sythesis.

Will shoot you how to make later - it's also a more biologically available source of glucosamine (and cheaper and w/o all the synthetic ingr.)

Chiro is great idea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. He did have a lot of muscle loss but we had been doing therapy and all seemed to be going well...until last week. Thank you again for your help and anything else you can share with me would be appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts