German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!!

I walked my 3 month old puppy earlier around the neighborhood and upon meeting another dog walking she suddenly started barking and the hairs on her back are all up.. :eek:

What could this possibly mean?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Dogs raise their hackles for many reasons: fear, excitement/arousal, aggression. My dog Jazz does this all the time out of excitement. How did your dog seem when meeting the other dog?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dogs raise their hackles for many reasons: fear, excitement/arousal, aggression. My dog Jazz does this all the time out of excitement. How did your dog seem when meeting the other dog?
My puupy seems to charge at the other dog (looks like a little black pug mix), with all the barking and pulling on the leash.

But when we passed by a fenced house with a big black great dane, my puppy looked at the GD, tail up and wagging, then sits, then gives a short bark, then wags her tail. :laugh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Something with that dog is maybe causing your dog to react in the fashion she is....

when you have crossed paths with the other dog, did the owner let you stop and let the dogs interact, sniff say hello?

I know I had a dog that would bark at a dog we would pass till the day we stopped, they sniffed and ever since they never even paid mind to each other after that!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
For my dogs it's just a sign of great excitement. They will even do it with each other when out tearing around in the yard after each other.

WHOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I notice when I let the pups outside, (I let them out unattended about 10 minutes so I can clean around their crate, they seem to take issue that I want to vacuum and clean "their room" for them, by I try to be diligent to not let them be unsupervised) when I call them back inside, they come at a dead run like horses galloping and their nape and back hair down to their rumps are standing up like little Jersey Shore blowout hairdos! It's so hilarious!!! I really need to try and get a picture, but they are so fast!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts