German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone :) Took a break from here quite awhile back, found myself stressing myself & Knuckles out by expecting too much from him.

Since then... well, he's a year & 1/2 old now and he is amazing! Smart, well behaved and just an absolute joy to be around. My daughter teaches him new tricks all the time, but she gets bored with it because he learns so quickly! He's always wanting to learn & please. We just love him to death.

A few things for those of you who remember him - crate training went out the window after he broke out of his crate, broke the lock in pieces to make sure I couldn't put it back together. He was trying to inform me that he doesn't need one, he's fine with free run of the house at night and/or while we are gone. This is when I realized that his problem wasn't being left alone, it was his fear of enclosed spaces. The crate is still there and it's his "time out" spot, even without a door. He is told to go in and cannot come out until we say its ok. And he also just uses it for naps or whenever he chooses. So now he's happy & we're happy!

He still reacts to other dogs while on walks, but he doesn't lunge at them anymore, just makes it known that he knows they are there. He's getting better every day, though.

The food guarding from my golden, Saki, still exists, but I let them work it out. No fights, no blood ever happened. Now I put their food down in the morning and Saki decides when it's time to eat. Once she's done, Knuckles can go eat. Sometimes it takes a few hours, but neither of them starve. This is something Knuckles did on his own, he won't touch the food until she's eaten, even if you try to get him to eat. It works.

and even with a fence that he could step over, he doesn't even attempt to get out of the yard. Its a scary world out there, you know, and he'd much rather stay at home. (It was only that "short" for a little while... )

and we found that one of his favorite things on earth is babies. Here he's giving a baby back a ball that she let roll away... (after he brought it to her in the first place, he likes to share his toys)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Great update and photos! Knuckles has really turned out well thanks to your training insight and common sense.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks :) Common sense really had to a lot to do with it. He taught me what he needed. Of course he was still taught boundaries and manners, but mostly we just went with what made him comfortable, after that a lot of his anxiety went away.
The biggest part was teaching people how to act with him... now most people respect the fact that they have to let him come to them, not the other way around. He warms up to anyone within minutes as long as they give him space. He does take longer to warm up to men, though, that is something we've noticed. There is really no warm-up time with women - he loves women.
The funny thing with the babies that I forgot to add... he has 3 babies in his life that come to visit. He gives them "baby kisses", barely sticks his tongue out LOL

I just love this dog :)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with you - the problem is often with the 2 legged not the 4 :) I do the same with my Sting, and he is also a ladies man, but with men - very selective. People have to wait and I go by Sting's body language - if I don't feel he wants to meet that person - I just say "sorry, I have to go" or "he's not friendly". That's great Knuckles is so good with babies. It will be interesting to see how he does with them as they grow up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Knuckles sounds like fun and loving dog to have. He is very handsome and Saki is a beautiful golden.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Oh, Knuckles is absolutely gorgeous! And what a smart boy, and good owner to understand what he was trying to tell you! Love the pics, so adorable..:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts