German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an exciting moment today! I've posted before about Mahina and her INTENSITY and our ongoing struggles to figure out how to cap her drive.

We were playing with the garden hose (she goes berserk to catch it) yesterday and I decided to work on her waiting until I release her to get it. She was back tied on a thirty foot lead, and I would put her in a down and tell her to wait while I sprayed water the opposite direction of her. She lost her mind, loads of frustrating barking (my neighbor poked his head out because she sounded like I was murdering her lol), so I ended as soon as she held the down for a second and we resumed play. It was pretty typical of how she acts when she's in drive and can't have exactly what she wants as soon as she wants it.

Tried again today, and WHOA. She got it! Not perfect, but no frustration barking and I was able to spray the hose within a few feet of her without her breaking. We practiced for a few minutes and then i ended it. It was so neat and encouraging to see her really working at keeping her head in the face of such a stimulating and rewarding activity. She was still laser focused on the hose, and her whole body was quivering with her desire to launch herself at the hose, but she held the down more frequently than not. I could see the wheels turning in her head that in order to get what she wanted, she had to do what I asked until I gave the okay.

Just wanted to share our excitement over a baby step :) it's so awesome to see progress, instead of feeling like I'm bashing my head against the wall lol!

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
That is actually a HUGE milestone! First steps are the hardest, but practice of any kind is really good for them!

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
I am worried about that garden hose game. It turns Deja crazy and it resembles the laser syndrome. I just don't like the look in her eyes, so different when she is in her normal drive mode. I will not intro this to Griff.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
When she is reliable, the next step is getting the calm focus before rewarding (continue in baby steps though, don't ask too much all at once). You'll have to wait her out until she stops the shaking, and her focus is clear-headed.
Just hang around and ignore her, but maintain the down. It will take a loooong time at first, but eventually, she'll start thinking that the reward is not coming, and you are only doing a long-down exercise, and she will relax a bit. The INSTANT she stops shaking and the look in her eyes softens, you reward, with whatever she is waiting for - so be in a position where you can do this.

But for now, great job!!! See if the capping transfers to ball-on-a-rope or tug play - it will be easier to time the reward with toys than the hose.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Presumably I can do the same with a frisbee? Get a sit, throw frisbee but have Hudson wait until released to go and get it? He can already do it but with a very short distance throw.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Presumably I can do the same with a frisbee? Get a sit, throw frisbee but have Hudson wait until released to go and get it? He can already do it but with a very short distance throw.
Griff (5 months) can wait briefly without restraint as long as I don't throw if further than about 6 ft. I don't do this more than twice in a row or once in while unexpectedly.
He is already toy-crazy which works in the presence of startled baby turkeys and their mother :grin2::grin2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts