German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baby has arrived safe and sound. He made lots of friends along the way from WV to MA. I think he is settling in pretty well already given so many changes so quickly. Introductions with ours have gone pretty well too.

It appears that Baby has severe arthritis in both hips, but is symptomatically more stiff than painful. His thigh muscles are pretty atrophied also. I've already started him on part of his treatment he will be getting to improve joint mobility and build muscle. He loves to be active and is on the go, go go!

Thanks to everyone involved in helping Baby to find his new home here with us!

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
He's gorgeous. Bless you for taking him.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. He really is such a good boy. Today he has gone into the rescue-sleep that we used to see after a transported homeless GSD realizes the traveling is truly over. It's been so long since we brought one in from a distance, I had forgotten about the rescue-sleep.

Ruth, the first phase of treatment for his hips includes Synflex, a liquid glucosamine Plus supplement. I am a Homoeopathic Veterinarian for the most part. His case currently fits Cimicifuga racemosa along with Hekla lava. He's getting those in LM potencies in medicinal solution. Time will tell us what his dosing schedule will be. Hubby is trained in Tong Ren, a form of Chinese energy healing. He started that last night with Baby. Today Baby is a bit less weak-wobbly and is able to muster a tad more muscle strength. I'm happy with his response so far. I will be adding wild salmon oil, vit C, vit E in time. I don't want to upset his tummy at this point with too many changes. He's very happy to help with chores at the barn which gives him good exercise for we live on the side of a mountain. The barn is "way over down there". By choice he has walked back and forth several times while we are in the paddock. I have other rabbits in my hat if we need to add or change anything to bring better improvement should the above not be enough.

He needs a new name. I am coming up empty right now. We will take suggestions and present them to Baby. He does NOT like that name. I'm wondering if he was ever even called it. One of the people on the transport started calling him "Buddy", which he likes better, and at least looks up, but that isn't good enough either. He is a really handsome stately ol' guy. We need a sophisticated name.

Baby has attached himself to Steve in that adoration way GSDs have! It's very cute. We're guessing he might have been the old gentlemen's buddy. Baby relaxes more when Steve whistles little tunes while he's doing chores. Baby then just seems to settle into a familiar place.

Oh, yikes! They sent along his hip radiographs. One is too lousy to see anything. But on the other, yikes! It's painful just to look at! I have never seen such extensive exostosis.

However, on the positive side, all his bloodwork looks great!

Yes, he is very huggable! But he is no pushover with the other dogs! He lets them know when he has had enough sniffing!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm so happy for Baby and also for you.... he sounds like a wonderful dog and I'm glad he ended up in such good caring hands. I'm mostly a lurker - but the seniors always tug at my heart and he definitely tugged. I agree - the name "Baby" doesn't suit his appearance. I'm sure you will find the right name that will fit him.

Congratulations on your new boy!!

Tanja

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
You could call him Traveler for his road trip - Trav for short.

What a beautiful dog and so lucky to have been taken to safety. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am certainly not ready to write this update, for then I must face head-on that our beloved Sounder ( aka Baby ) has passed on to the Rainbow Bridge. We are devastated by his absence. How can I explain that a dog who was with us for only 5 1/2 weeks has deeply etched our hearts with love & sorrow? If you could have known Sounder, you would understand.

On the 20th of June, Sounder died from GDV, "bloat". We haven't stopped crying yet.

Sounder had an incredible enthusiasm for life. He went everywhere with us and enjoyed helping out. He was always right there, a constant companion. Now we have palpable empty space....

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm so sorry for both you and Steve.
At least you were able to give Sounder a good place to be with a lot of love in his last days.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Oh Roxanne, I'm so sorry. Just when he had a chance at a wonderful life... It seems so senseless. It's obvious your hearts are broken, but thank you both for giving him the best weeks of his life. My thoughts are with you...

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss.
I remember the original posts, Sounder sounded like a wonderful guy and gorgeous too. He was lucky to get the chance to join you family, even if for a very short time.
This section of the board is sweet and sad to look at: Sounder, Millie, Chewbacca, Alma, these mature guys know how to steal our hearts.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Thank you for giving Sounder his last weeks of life living to the fullest! I am sorry for your loss and a huge one it is. RIP Sounder, baby... He was a beauty, the bridge is a more beautiful place now that he graces it.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Roxanne,

As I told you in my email tears just ran down my face when I found out about our loss. (Ok crap, now fighting tears again. You know its not every dog that does this to me!) He was amazing! I have to say though, I could not have ever hoped for a better home and family for him. Thank you for giving him the TLC and Loving home that every dog would want and then some. You and Steve are incredible and I wish you could have had the pleasure of enjoying Sounder for much longer. I am so sorry for your loss and as you know it is my loss too. RIP dear Sounder. I hope you are happy with your first dad. I hope you know how much you were adored by so many of us who never even met you.

Take care Roxanne and Steve. I hope the good memories will always bring a smile to your faces when you think of him.

Hugs,
Susan
Long Haired German Shepherd Rescue

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Yes...thank you so much for taking in this boy and giving him so much love and happiness.

I was saddened to hear of the loss of Sounder...he had touched me as well...my condolances are with you both.

Sounder you were loved by so many...

I love this...it reminds me that we will all be reunited with those dear animals we are so blessed to share our lives with......

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I am so sorry to read of the loss of Sounder. You have wonderful memories of those brief weeks and know that Sounder had a very good life with you.

I wish for you it had been longer.

RIP, Sounder and run free of pain over the bridge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts