German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
a small birdhouse would be great idea. I really like animals especially birds, maybe because my mom didn’t let me have one when i was a kid. I used to take care of a bird used to build her nest on a tree in my backyard, i noticed that she comes like every spring so i bought her suet for birds and in the next day she comes with some other birds to eat, it was a really cute view. Now i take care of around 20 birds. They come every morning to my backyard to eat their breakfast lol !! and I built 3 birdhouses on the tree for them, And they started to build their nests inside the birdhouses.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Here's what's keeping me busy these days! A friend found this newly hatched bird in her parking lot: NO trees or buildings nearby, so no way to return it to the nest.

I am 99% sure it's a baby house sparrow, and it was only a day or two old when she found it. I've had it for 3 days now, and it's starting to show a few pin feathers on its wings, but its eyes are still closed. I'm feeding it crickets I bought from the pet store, plus whatever other insects I can scoop up with a butterfly net. It has an amazing appetite, and can polish off 4 crickets in one session!

Hard to believe this tiny pink baby will be fully fledged and ready to leave the nest in 14 days!

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Have you called a wildlife center for proper feeding? Our center here won't admit house sparrows because they are an introduced species in the US. So I took one home that was brought in. It was a sweet little buddy that would sit on my shoulder. When he was ready I released him at the center where he could find plenty of food. It seems that you shouldn't give it earth worms. I believe I gave him some soaked cat food as well. Lots of work. Nice that you have taken him in. Looks like he will make it.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Wolfy, yes, I've been in contact with a rehab. They said they will take him when he reaches the age that he might imprint on me, but for now, they are happy to let me feed him every 30-45 minutes!! (They are understaffed due to the COVID virus.)

I'm fairly experienced with this sort of thing. I previously (with the husband's help) raised a baby sparrow from about the same age as this one. I've also volunteered for a local wildlife rescue, where I worked mostly with the baby raccoons.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Wolfy, yes, I've been in contact with a rehab. They said they will take him when he reaches the age that he might imprint on me, but for now, they are happy to let me feed him every 30-45 minutes!! (They are understaffed due to the COVID virus.)

I'm fairly experienced with this sort of thing. I previously (with the husband's help) raised a baby sparrow from about the same age as this one. I've also volunteered for a local wildlife rescue, where I worked mostly with the baby raccoons.
Hey, me too. Good to know that you know what you are doing. I have been involved in wildlife rehab for many years. Took home Barn Swallow baby's and when we went out took them with me in a box in a bag to feed them every hour. Also raised baby raccoons for them. Have seen most local wildlife up close. That was super fun! Currently in charge of their mouse breeding program. Needed to be completely reorganized.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Sent it just after I posted that. Look at your profile picture in the top right corner, and click on that. It will be under 'conversations'.

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
Sent it just after I posted that. Look at your profile picture in the top right corner, and click on that. It will be under 'conversations'.
I found that Conversations but yours wasn't there/ I sent you one to reply to. Hope that works.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts