German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question. How much benadryl would you give to a 70-75lb dog? Our friend gives her dog baby benadryl but we can only find it in liquid form. Have any of you gave your dogs liquid benadryl? -thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have always given a pill version to my dogs. I just hide the pill in peanut butter. I give 1mg per pound, so you would give about 75mg of benadryl. You can do this 2-3 times a day.

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
I use regular benedryl - generic from Target

Dogs vary in their sensitivity... my boys are roughly the same size, I can give Tilden 75mg twice a day and see no additional effects (drowsiness, etc)... if I give Keystone 25mg a single time, he’s glassy eyed and wobbly.

I’d start with a low dose.... of course understanding that benedryl helps to ease symptoms but doesn’t address the cause (which is?)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I use regular benedryl - generic from Target

Dogs vary in their sensitivity... my boys are roughly the same size, I can give Tilden 30mg and see no additional effects (drowsiness, etc)... if I give Keystone 10mg, he’s glassy eyed and wobbly.

I’d start with 10mg.... of course understanding that benedryl helps to ease symptoms but doesn’t address the cause (which is?)
Wow! Your dogs are sensitive. My golden needs at least 50mg to get anything out of it.

OP, It would be wise to start with a smaller dose just in case your dog reacts strongly like Fodder's.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
My vet told me to give G 2 of these when he was 75lbs. I've only ever had to give him 1. It's more than enough to help with an allergic reaction and always knocks him out, I think 2 would be too much for him. I would call your vet to make sure on the dosage for your dog. Make sure you never give anything with a "D" on it for decongestant.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. thanks all for the info. Our vet said a while back we could use Benadryl for her itchy allergies. And Lately her allergies have been acting up. He wrote down a dose but unfortunately i have misplaced his note.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts