German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I THOUGHT I had dealt with hot spots before.

I was wrong.

This was the nastiest, yuckiest, most hideous thing I have ever encountered.

The poor girl looks like she has an inbedded collar.

I had her out at class on Thursday night, messing with her martingale to hold it higher on her neck.

I turned her loose when I got home with the martingale still on her, and took it off of her Friday, I saw NOTHING.

Saturday night she was OOZING! It was like something out of a cheesy sci-fi flick!!!

My dad convinced me to wait until the morning, rather than go to the ER.

The next morning, she was happy ate her food was full of energy. Then I saw all the puss!!!

I popped her a cephalexin, and called the ER. While I was talking to the lady, I told her they would have to use anesthesia in order to clip the area, and clean it, and decided I was stupid for feeding her. So they said to continue with the cephalexin until Monday when I could take her to my own vet.

Anyhow, her neck looks like hardened lava.

Hot spots, yeah, they're no big deal! WRONG!!! This is gruesome! I am trying to figure out what I might have fed her differently in the past few days.

Good thing I had an old seat belt harness. I could not put a collar on her neck.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Youch! Poor girl. I can't believe it popped up so fast!

Anyway, good luck at the vet, hoping all goes well and she heals up quick!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Youch is right!! Poor thing, hopefully they can get everything under control before it gets worse!! Good luck and give her a hug for me!

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got her back. There is a huge snow storm here, and the vet called and said, pick her up NOW, he is sending everyone home. She is in my car. Car is running.

She looks like a poodle. They left her head hair, but shaved 180 degrees of her neck, and down into her back. She looks REALLY weird. Took the anesthesia ok though.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
poor baby!!!! quick healing thoughts headed to you guys. Hope she feels better...and looks better soon!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Careful driving in the mess....hope she's feeling better soon. Do you know what the heck caused it?

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Wishing for a quick recovery for your baby! :)

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Poor baby. Hope she heals quickly.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
my aussie gets huge nasty yucky gagging looking sores they are "fungus", he eats dirt and when he eats ALOT of dirt, well they usually pop up, when he gets one, they are just so gross you can't imagine:( I have to either get him on a grooming type table or in the tub to shave around it, (otherwise it's a no go!),,I have been using vetricyn gel which seems to clear them up pretty well,

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Oh no poor Beansy :( Did they give her anything for the pain? Molly had an awful one which popped up in just a few hours and she ended up having to be on abx and steroids to get rid of it. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your girl.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I went home and could not see my driveway or shed or trees. I found my mailbox which is the other side of the road and turned into what I thought was my driveway. Ooops. I got all four wheels in the ditch. I was going slow and no injury to any of us, car included. But I got it towed out and then decided to hybernate for two days. (No internet at home.)

This duracool spray will control itching and help with pain, cephalexin for secondary infection. I cannot put a collar on her, and she pees all over my foot when I spray the stuff on it, but I think it is just scaring her and not hurting her. It looks a lot better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts