German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I brought all the buckets in to fill them in my bath tub. First, I had to add hot water and then remove 13 quart sized bucket-shaped ice cubes from them. These are still thawing in my bathtub.

Anyhow, I also brought in Babs' bucket. Babs has the puppy pen during the day, and I fill a dish for water that she can have inside, as she has a good section of the room and filling her water inside is no problem.

I have left her outside bucket alone to be filled with snow and ice.

But today, as I was feeling particularly chipper, I carried it in and melted it in my bath tub as well. (I hope the bat tub will be free of ice cubes tomorrow so I can use it...)

Anyhow. I put the partially filled bucket in my bathroom for Babs.

She is AFRAID of it!

I think it is how the light dances on the stainless steel. I got her to drink out of it, but she really seems wary of it.

Now my question to you folks: is this just a new quirk from my soft Babsy, or could this be indicitive of a problem with her eye sight?

The baby outside, her bucket I had to clip on the fence because she tips it and moves it around. Is it possible that they are playing with the bucket because of how light is reflected by them?

Or is the puppy just being a puppy, and Babsy is just being weirded out because something that BELONGS outside has been brought inside where it DOES NOT BELONG?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
It could just be that it is weird to her to have the bucket inside or that the location seems odd to her and she is not quite sure what to do with it. Sometimes they get so weird about things that we wouldn't think twice about, like having a bucket.

My girl Ronja is used to having buckets in the house, I keep one upstairs in the kitchen and then I have one in the indoor 5x5 kennel I have downstairs for her. So she drinks from buckets all the time. If I go to a dog event and bring the bucket, she don't drink from it if it's right next to the car, it has to be free standing. And she won't stick her head into the bucket to drink if strangers are standing nearby and are looking at her. (She doesn't mind if they are looking away from her, though.)

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About two or three weeks ago, she was trying to get a drink and her collar tags hit the bucket and that seemed to be an issue. I quickly removed the collar, because I generally only have collars on them outside of my property.

When I moved the bucket from the bathroom to the puppy pen -- inside the house, she was ok with it there.

I think I just have a weird one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts