German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm B. I'm bringing home my first purebred German Shepherd puppy at the end of the month. I'm so excited. I hate to admit it but this is my first planned puppy! I'm an experienced dog owner but have always acquired them haphazardly. My first two GS cross girls I found by a posting on a flyer in a bank. I wasn't planning on adopting that day and I had never considered two dogs but I fell in love with the fat one while the skinny one untied my husband's shoelaces.

I am excited and nervous about our new guy. He'll be my first male "forever" dog. (I fostered several male pups. I prefer them in our all female pack). He is our first purebred. For a time, I'll have the challenge of raising a puppy with geriatric dogs. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
B

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome, from a fellow Seattleite. If you don't already have a crate I highly recommend one - it will come in handy for giving the older dogs some down time too. Be sure to post pics of your new little guy!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Your story is so much like mine. At 66 years old I am getting my first purebred gsd puppy. Ii have 3 "left behind" dogs,that all belonged to my grandchildren. I love them all but werent my choice. I have older dogs here, but am looking so forward to the puppy. He is suppose to be ready around the first of feb. We will have alot of things to talk about I am guessing. Good luck ...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I plan on using a crate. I also am going to take the little guy out a lot! Tired pups aren't annoying. At first I thought you were suggesting a crate for the elderly shepherd sisters. I had a vision of barricading the living room so that they can sleep on their couch in peace which is not a bad idea! I'll need two baby gates.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Congrats on finding your new pup! I'd hang around alot in the puppy section reading up on current posts and the stickies.

Specially figure out how you'll put the crate in your bedroom for the crate training!

Also it's good to start asking around for puppy classes. The socialization and training is extra important for our breed.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on your puppy Lizzyjo! We'll have to compare notes. This is also my first time posting on a forum.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on finding your new pup! I'd hang around alot in the puppy section reading up on current posts and the stickies.

Specially figure out how you'll put the crate in your bedroom for the crate training!

Also it's good to start asking around for puppy classes. The socialization and training is extra important for our breed.
Thank you. I'll head on over to the pup section. I've got him enrolled in class starting 2//6 and am considering another weekly class with a friend's Irish Wolfhound pup. We want them to be friends.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Welcome!!

As for Seattle.. I plan on moving there in 2-3 years from now after my contract is done. How are people around there in regards to dogs? And the GSD breed?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome!!

As for Seattle.. I plan on moving there in 2-3 years from now after my contract is done. How are people around there in regards to dogs? And the GSD breed?
I don't really see any prejudicial views towards GSDs. I think that Seattle is pretty dog friendly. Leash laws are strict, but I like that. There are some great off leash parks. I live about a 10 minute drive from 2 off-leash parks--one is a beach! I walk my girls to a leash park with a lake every day. There are a lot of great pet stores and everyone argues about the best food. Vet care is expensive--perhaps a bit more so than other markets--but there are plenty of vet clinics and specialty clinics.

I moved here from Montana where my dogs were rarely leashed and they made the transition beautifully. They enjoy trips to pet stores and the bank.
B

·
Registered
115 Posts
At first I thought you were suggesting a crate for the elderly shepherd sisters. I had a vision of barricading the living room so that they can sleep on their couch in peace which is not a bad idea! I'll need two baby gates.
Whoops, I guess it does read that way! :eek: Baby gates work well. Congrats on your new pup!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts