German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed numerous postings on skin conditions and lip sores so I wanted to post my experience. My dog had lip sores and was constantly scratching all over as well. Antibiotics didnt help but adding prednisone did. Then the vet switched him to azathioprine. She said it was less harsh on his system. What she didn't tell me is that it causes bone marrow suppression in 10% of dogs. What she also didn't do was blood tests for cell count both before and every two weeks after the course started. One month later he started getting sick and $4k and one week later he was dead at 6 years old. I lost a great dog because of this drug and this vet. I'll never ever not investigate something a vet tells me again. So, if your vet mentions this drug and neglects to tell you the risks or do the blood tests beware!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
azathroprine is also on the list of "no no" drugs for dogs who are MDR1 gene carriers.

I am so sorry for your loss:(

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost your dog. Thank you for the warning, hopefully we'll all be more aware and do some research before we allow a med to be used.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
so so so sorry for your loss. Thank you very much for the warning as this was one of the drugs suggested for Riley's allergies. I will check it off as a very large heck no!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts