German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tessa is going to get spayed this morning. So of course she couldn't have anything to eat or drink after midnight. Well this morning has been SO hard for her. She is used to getting up, going outside to potty, then getting right in her crate for breakfast. After coming back in, she sat in her crate for almost 10 minutes and barked for her breakfast (I am sure the neighbors loved that). I tried petting her, a kong, toys, even an ice cube, nothing worked. She finally got out of the crate and is just laying on the floor looking at me with those big brown eyes and whining periodically. Every few minutes she gets up, walks over to me as if to say "Please, please, where is my breakfast??".

I feel so bad for her right now. I actually can't wait to leave for the vet so she will stop thinking I am deliberately starving her!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
oh such a mean mommy!!!! starving that poor dog!!!! how could you do such an awful thing!!!???!!!! JK!

She wont even remember it when she gets home and just needs to cuddle. good luck!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is making me feel like a big ole meanie! Of course Dharma has to wait for her breakfast until I get back from dropping Tessa off but she is taking it in stride. She seems to miss the water dish more than anything else.

I just wish Tessa would stop giving me that pitiful stare!!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from dropping her off. I felt even worse, she kept trying to leave with me. :( Poor baby. When I had Dharma spayed, my mom took her in so I didn't have to go through the trauma of actually leaving her there. It's like handing over your child.

And she will get lots of hugs and kisses tonight when she gets home. Although I guess she will just want to sleep.

The good news is she has gained 11 lbs since coming to live with me. She looks so much better. Her back bones and rib bones no longer protrude out so sharply. And her hair is slowly starting to grow back.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Aww Poor Tessa. She will be home soon, and you can give her some much deserved pampering

·
Registered
30,388 Posts
Awww...Poor Tessa. :( But isn't it wonderful that she is now healthy enough to have the surgery!!??

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I don't know what it is about me, but I've never had a dog that suffered from separation anxiety- especially at the vet's. They've all been perfectly happy to be lead off without any resistance. Vets and vet techs really appreciate it- I'm trying not to get my feelings hurt!

Hope all goes well with your girl today. I'm sure she'll be ready for a nice big breakfast in the morning, maybe some scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! I'm sure she is going to be fine but poor thing just looked so confused when I was leaving her and she kept trying to follow, well that made it tough. I am probably the first place she has felt safe in a really long time so to suddenly be left somewhere else...I don't think it is quite the same as leaving a pup who has always felt safe and loved in her home and trusts people. I will be glad when I get to pick her up this evening so she knows I didn't abandon her like all the other humans she has had before.

And yes, Jax08, it is great that she is healthy enough that she could have the surgery! She has come quite a long way since I picked her up from the lady at the shelter in WV.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The vet called a bit ago and said Tessa did fine during surgery. She said because of her age that the spay was a bit more challenging than usual but that Tess came through just fine. Her xrays OTOH, not so good. She has severe HD in her left hip and severe arthritis and spondylosis in her spine. Poor girl. She is such a trooper and gets around so well all things considering. Well, I will be leaving to pick her up in about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats good news that she did fine in the surgery. Sorry to hear about the other problems though! just imagine how happy she'll be to see you when you go to get her!!! even if she is still drugged lol. Give her lots of loves for us!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Glad she did ok through surgery, she will be glad when she gets home. :)

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She is home and she was so glad to see me! We got home, she went out to potty and then she walked in the door laid down and proceeded to puke all over my carpet. :eek: That caused her incision to leak. So after I cleaned up the vomit and blood, I got her settled in her crate. She seems to be resting fairly comfortably right now and the incision is dry. Poor thing, even Dharma is leaving her alone. Hopefully she will just go to sleep now.

·
Registered
30,388 Posts
So glad she's home!

I would feed her very lightly. Jax had a terrible time with the anesthetic. It seemed like her digestion track took forever to work right again. I had to give her pepcid for 2 days just to get water to stay down.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Poor little Tessa. I am glad she is in your good and caring hands. Please give her a kiss from me and all of her fellow VGSR fosters!

I do hope they gave you some pain meds for her.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After vomiting most of Thur night and then refusing to drink on Fri, Tessa has rebounded wonderfully. She didn't eat a meal until Sat and then I advanced her very slowly. She didn't get back on her regular diet until Sunday night just to be safe. But now she is acting like a dog 5 years younger thanks to the Rimadyl she is on for pain. I'm sure she hasn't been this pain free in a long time. She and Dharma have been having a great time playing together. It has been all I can do to make sure they don't get too rough since Tessa's incision is only 4 days old. I have to admit though, I haven't seen her this bright eyed or playful since I brought her home. I'm going to talk to the vet about putting her on something permanently for the pain in her back and her hips she is obviously suffering from. She is like a new dog!! :wub:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Great news!! So glad you got all the info you need to make a decision about treatment so she can be pain free.

·
Registered
30,388 Posts
Look up the homeopathic remedy called Zeel. It is supposed to work as good as the rimadyl

1 - 20 of 20 Posts