German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was out on a walk this afternoon with my girl and I couldnt stop laughing when we passed this one person. Penny has never done this and has always been a happy go lucky people lover type of dog (hope she stays this way :) ) anyway I have seen this woman a few times in town and have been told she is always up to no good stealing/drugs/prostitution, I personally have never had an experience with her and have no fear or any type of ill feelings towards her but Penny, omg lol...

Were coming up to this woman who was wearing a baggy hoody with the hood over hear head. We were roughly 20 ft from her when all the sudden Penny starts to lowly "talk" (not a growl not a bark just well talking is what I call it being mouthy but being VERY quiet about it) I was trying to hold my laugh in I gave her a VERY tiny pop on her collar told her to leave it and we carried on with our walk, she never pulled never did anything more but stare at her and "talk" as if to say dont worry mom Ill protect you lol I just thought it was too cute and having never seen her do this at all since I got her was a bit surprised but obviously her protective side is coming out just a little bit :)

Good Penny :)

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
She was telling you that something about the woman did not look or smell right.

You would do well to listen to her when she talks to you like that and act on it by moving away from what she is warning you about.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You would do well to listen to her when she talks to you like that and act on it by moving away from what she is warning you about.
Yes she was and we moved and walked on the grass as we passed her, there was no way to go anywhere else. She had never done that before but the next day we past a bunch of teenagers who reeked of POT! And Penny again did the same thing but has never done it to anyone who seem "fine".

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
she growled at a woman wearing a hoodie. she growled at
teenagers who smelled of pot. i'm not so sure she's protecting
you or warning you about someone. find someone that's not seedy
and have them walk towards you wearing a hoodie. find some teens
that don't smell like pot and walk pass them.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she growled at a woman wearing a hoodie. she growled at
teenagers who smelled of pot. i'm not so sure she's protecting
you or warning you about someone. find someone that's not seedy
and have them walk towards you wearing a hoodie. find some teens
that don't smell like pot and walk pass them.
She has many times and she hasn't done it. She has been in some large crowds and has been completely fine, she has walked past A LOT of different people wearing the same type of clothing and walked past many teenagers and children and has never displayed this. Ands she doesnt growl she has never growled but its not a bark either its just talking like awooowoo wooo lol thats the only way I can explain it

·
Registered
32,379 Posts

yep...I would not have popped her to correct her for it. I would have just put distance between me and that person.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you're talking about what she did in the past. currently she
"awooo woooed" at person wearing a huddie and kids smelling like pot.
if my dog did that i wouldn't be laughing and thinking it's cute. i would
want to know why. i would test my dog more than once to see if a
problem is developing.

She has many times and she hasn't done it. She has been in some large crowds and has been completely fine, she has walked past A LOT of different people wearing the same type of clothing and walked past many teenagers and children and has never displayed this. Ands she doesnt growl she has never growled but its not a bark either its just talking like awooowoo wooo lol thats the only way I can explain it

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well its been a week since I have posted this and we have walked past a lot more teenagers and more people (including teenagers) wearing hoodies with the hood up and she was fine, last night we were walking and it was dusk so getting dark and there was a group of 6 teenagers and Penny started backing away and barked once when she backed away, I asked the teens if they wouldnt mind saying hi to my puppy and the girl in the group got down in a squat and Penny ran right over tail wagging and was happy to see everyone and the "kids" loved her and she was loving them so not sure why she seemed afraid? Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Well its been a week since I have posted this and we have walked past a lot more teenagers and more people (including teenagers) wearing hoodies with the hood up and she was fine, last night we were walking and it was dusk so getting dark and there was a group of 6 teenagers and Penny started backing away and barked once when she backed away, I asked the teens if they wouldnt mind saying hi to my puppy and the girl in the group got down in a squat and Penny ran right over tail wagging and was happy to see everyone and the "kids" loved her and she was loving them so not sure why she seemed afraid? Anyone have any insight?
I would chalk it up as being dark and her a bit unsure... until she was sure.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont think its a socialization issue, she has been out everyday meeting new people of all ages (shapes sizes races ect old people with walkers/canes/wheelchairs, disabled people ect) and she is great, she is also socialized to new sounds and footing, I take her over bridges of all types I live pretty much on the air force base so she is used to hearing all types of loud noises including the jets,and Helis and planes, gun shots sirens ect... Also thunder and fireworks. She is friendly to everyone she meets, she is a little shy of new dogs until she gets to smell them but if we keep walking she ignores them. I take her out front of the mall (used to be every day) 2 - 3 times a week, I take her to the petstore that is normally full of people and of course all types of animals. I take her to the parks to sit and watch kids scream and play ect. And she rarely ever shows this hesitancy its only been 3 times, and all three times have been close to dark, I know at night time I actually have to coax her down the stairs to go out and keep her down the stairs or else she will run up on the deck to come back in without doing anything... I think she has a real fear of the dark! I dont think it has to do with not being socialized to people to be honest thats the only thing I can think of? Maybe some people just put off a different scent that she is scared of? Im not sure what her damage was other than the whole getting dark/or being dark thing. Other than that she is an amazing dog who everyone in this small community loves to come pet and talk to me when we walk ( I have yet to have a walk where I was not stopped by a person wanting to pet her and talk about her, normally its more than one person lol ) I get complimented all the time how well behaved she is and how she doesnt bark and is not mean ect.

So I let her see the kids last night as soon as the girl squated she ran right over to say hi and I gave her a treat and was very calm and soothing and she was fine the rest of the walk even when we past several people and two people walking their dogs.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
You are training out her protective instinct. First, by ignoring and laughing at her vocal warning, you are telling her to disregard her instinctive cues about how to act when something "isn't right". (yes, dogs are very acutely aware of your reactions, they spend their entire lives watching your every action and cue---they know your body language and mood. Mouths can lie...........but attitude and body language do not for the most part)

Popping the leash, being amused at her action, failing to act on her warning, and allowing and encouraging her to run up to a strange person that she considers threatening are sure to destroy any protective instincts she has.

DO NOT LET HER GET ATTENTION OR PETTING BY RUNNING UP TO STRANGERS.

That is the surest way there is to put her and yourself in danger if there ever is an encounter with people who are in fact dangerous. You are training her to abandon her protection and rush up to the "enemy" expecting attention and praise,(both from you, and the "enemy")

You must train her to develop and share her protective instincts. When she warns you--------act immediately on her warning and move away. Once you are far away from the "danger"----then concentrate on controlling the behavior. You want to control the reaction to the danger----not destroy the instinct to warn and protect.

When she does give you a warning..........move yourself and her away from the object of her warning. Put her in a sit/stay and praise her. You will need to work with her to get her to a solidly reliable sit/stay---so that you can walk away and she will stay till you recall her.

Then, if you want to show her that a person(or group) is OK----you need to leave her in the sit/stay-----walk a short distance and have a person(if it is a group) meet you, then call her to you.

This will teach her to trust her instincts for warning and protection----and at the same time, if you say it is OK, then stifle.

Keeping the distance and heeding her warning gives her time and space to react if the need arises. And, at the same time, alerts the possible "bad guy(s)" that this dog is not a sucker push over they can easily defeat if they have some sort of evil plot hatching in the back of their mind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts