German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this as a word of caution since accidents happen easily and when you least expect it.
I used to wear a referee whistle around my neck when I take the dogs out. I use it for recall and to ward off charging strange dogs. Well, a while ago I bent over to pick up a ball while nosy Griff investigated it. The whistle's cord hung loose in front of me and he almost, really almost got his head in it. If that had happened......
From that time on, no scarfs, no necklaces, no clicker on a cord, no leashes(!!), or anything around my neck that can get me choked by a dog.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Even cords from hoodies can be a danger. Last week I was playing ball with my dog, and she grabbed the cord dangling down from my hoodie, and ran off with it!

Fortunately, she let go when she went after the ball instead.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
There was a 5 year old child that was strangled by the family Golden. She was playing alone in the yard with him and he started playing tug :(

As a self defense instructor I always tell women never wear something around your neck that can be a handy tool for an attacker. Just adds another perspective to it.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a 5 year old child that was strangled by the family Golden. She was playing alone in the yard with him and he started playing tug :(

As a self defense instructor I always tell women never wear something around your neck that can be a handy tool for an attacker. Just adds another perspective to it.
Good one! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
People who keep halters on horses when they are turned out in pastures will often use a piece of weak string on the poll strap as a breakaway safety device. Its better to have your whistle and not need than need and not have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts