German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first thread here and i have a question that im sure that all of the years of experience here can help me with.
I am a former armed forces service member (branch left blank for security reasons) who served over seas as K-9 patrol, I am now out of the service and was not able to take my partner with me (heart breaking) but long story short he was a 110lb solid male and i now have a female who is 5 months old my wife remembers the size of my partner and was intimidated by him.....how large do the females get at full size?

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
We all worry and obsess about our pups growth. To the extent we made THREE stickies in the top of the Puppy Section so we can compare:

Development & Socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Females normally are smaller than males. And a 110 pound male is about 20 pounds bigger than what a GSD male is 'supposed' to be.

The best way to know ahead of time about a pups growth is to look at the parent dogs and discuss concerns with the breeder. Though there are also the flukes of genetics with smaller and larger dogs popping up.

and...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :) Where are the pictures of your pup?!!!!???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maggie thank you for heading me in the right direction.....yeah at 110, 108.5 to be exact, he was over weight but they dont exactly provide enough food for a working dog like him so we spent a lot of time sharing my dinners in the field (MRE's yuck) and im sure that didnt help lol but we did what we did and we will never forget

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
THere are really big GSD's out there, not all fed on MRE's either :)

And still, no pictures!!!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Maggie thank you for heading me in the right direction.....yeah at 110, 108.5 to be exact, he was over weight but they dont exactly provide enough food for a working dog like him so we spent a lot of time sharing my dinners in the field (MRE's yuck) and im sure that didnt help lol but we did what we did and we will never forget
For a female, the average is probably around 24" at the withers and 60-65 pounds. There are a lot of much bigger and smaller females to be found in this group. Good luck !!:D

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've had two females- one fluctuated between 58 and 62 depending on how hot it was outside, the other stayed pegged on 78, her mother was that large too. I preferred the smaller size.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I have two females, one is 75lbs and the other is 80lbs and she is thin. I've got a female pup that just turned 5 months and she is 49 lbs. There is a big range as to size.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome. I have a 6.5 mo female that is currently 23.5 inches tall and weights around 60lbs. I agree with the others there is a wide range in height and weight.

Just depends in the parents.

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
I've had females up to 78/79 pounds (about 8 pounds over the standard), and my current female is almost exactly at the midpoint of the standard at 58/59 pounds.

What does your girl weigh now? Do you know what both parents weighed at maturity? That would be a clue as to how large she'll be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maggie as for pics im trying to sort thru the ones I can post I still work for "The Man" so i have to be carefull but i will get some up for you.
cassidy's mom: she it a stout 45ish pounds last weigh in was a month ago as for the parents her father well i dont know what he weighs but when he came running out of the house i thought they let their pet bear out and the mom again dont know weight but she was a very well built girl who moved like a lady but presented herself like a dominator

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
Can you ask your breeder about the weight of the parents? They sound on the large size, which means that your girl may be too. At 5 months old 45 pounds is not huge though, so it may be too early to really guess. I can't recall how much each of mine weighed at 5 months, but here are their 6 month weights:

Dena - 63 pounds (around 70 as an adult)
Keefer - 56 pounds (male, half sibling to Dena, 80 pounds as an adult)
Halo - 46-1/2 pounds (just under 60 pounds at 2 yrs, 2 mos)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have up loaded some pics of her growth the on in the truck on "guard duty" is the newest dont know if that will help i know some people can judge size by looking at a dog

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
45 pounds at 5 months seems average to slightly above average. My guess is that she will be at the top of the standard for females, at least. My female was 42 pounds at 5 months and she is 25.5 inches and 70 pounds now. Her weight is at the top of the standard and her height is above standard.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Both your little girl and your pup are precious! :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Great pics! She looks good and on target with 45 lbs. Sigourney is 49 lbs at 5 months and I anticipate her being on the large scale as are my other girls.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts