German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • We bought a gsd puppy for our kids a few months back to replace our 12yr old lab/mutt. She spends 1/2 the time at home and 1/2 the time roamng the140 acres at my work. My only experience with them is a gsd that showed up at work and ended up living in my barn for 5 years. I have been reading quite a bit about them lately and was wondering how concerned I should be if she doesn't fit into the "average" size categories that come up on searches. The charts I'm seeing say @ 6 months females should be 44-49lbs and 15"-17" tall. Zoey is just turned 24 weeks old and is weighing 58lbs and is 21.5" tall and 26.5" L. Does this seem off or is my "little girl destined to be a horse?
  • 8-9 weeks
  • @ 4 months
  • @ 4 months
  • @ 6 months
  • @ 6 months

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I have been reading quite a bit about them lately and was wondering how concerned I should be if she doesn't fit into the "average" size categories that come up on searches.
Concerned? It is what it is! No need for concern. My puppy is also "oversized". She's 3 yrs old now, 28" at the withers, weighs 80 lbs.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ignore the chart. Esp 'growth chart.' some are bigger some are smaller. As long as their not overweight or underweight, no need for concerns. And how lucky she is to be able to roam around such a big open space!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nothing to be concerned about at all. My male pup was 62 pounds at 5 months and is currently just short of 6 months and 70 pounds. That's 9-12 month territory. No worries here, he'll be a big boy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts