German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday, we had to take Ava in for minor surgery to remove a cyst on her elbow. (The cyst had been there for many months, but it had gotten bigger lately and it was better to remove it now before it got too big. They are sending it off to pathology but our vet says she doesn't expect it to be anything bad. Please keep your fingers crossed in any case. We should hear back late this week about the results.)

So, since she had stitches in her elbow, she needed a pressure wrap. She also developed an allergic reaction to the plastic in the catheter, which made her foot and leg swell up. Poor thing had to take it easy the past few days, which is not easy for a 13-month-old puppy!!

Here she is on bed rest, feeling quite sorry for herself:

The morning after surgery she was feeling a bit better, although still acting purposefully pathetic for more attention:

By Friday afternoon she had decided enough was enough, and she wanted to go for a walk, doggone it!

Yesterday we took her to the vet to have her swollen foot checked, and the vet removed the pressure wrap. I've been watching her like a hawk, but she was licking a bit at the stitches so this happened, much to her chagrin:

Today she is feeling back to her normal self, and I think wearing the cone for just a few minutes last night taught her a good lesson, since she hasn't touched the area at all today. Here she is wanting to play with her new toy, which we got for her while she was in surgery:

Today we went for a nice walk at the lake, although she was mad at us for not letting her go swimming. Poor Ava--she has such a tough life!!

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
she looks good as new :) poor baby but she bounced back real quick. such a pretty face, she reminds me of my first shepherd star (what a great dog she was). hope all goes well and healing thoughts coming your way :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you! :) She is feeling back to her normal self now, and the swelling is completely gone. I'm very happy!! Now we just have to wait for the test results, and hopefully the vets will be right and it won't be anything bad.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, Ava's stitches came out unexpectedly today. She hasn't bothered them at all by licking or scratching all weekend, and we've been with her nonstop, so we're assuming she either snagged the little thread on a towel she was laying on, or her activity stretched the elbow skin and loosened them too much. We ran her back to the vet this morning, and they are going to call in a bit to let me know what the plan is. I'm hoping they won't have to anesthetize her again, but I bet they probably will.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another round of stitches later (this time without anesthesia, thankfully!)...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts