German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi to Ava and Marley, should be fun together. With the Boxer being only 1, they'll need lots of separate training time
Hi thanks :)

Marley has impressed us all, he is very gentle and playful around her, they are always playing it's good to see two different types of breads get along so well. We perhaps thought Marley would be dominant but he is far from it. They sleep together and cannot be separated having only spent 3 weeks together, it couldn't have gone any better.

Ava is toilet trained already and showing good signs of understanding commands at this early stage. They both regularly visit friends and family who also have dogs so early social skills are very important.

We are considering putting her in for training.

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Hi thanks :)

Marley has impressed us all, he is very gentle and playful around her, they are always playing it's good to see two different types of breads get along so well. We perhaps thought Marley would be dominant but he is far from it. They sleep together and cannot be separated having only spent 3 weeks together, it couldn't have gone any better.

Ava is toilet trained already and showing good signs of understanding commands at this early stage. They both regularly visit friends and family who also have dogs so early social skills are very important.

We are considering putting her in for training.
Fantastic but listen to what I'm saying:

It's extremely common for a young pup to bond primarily with a littermate or other young dog. Training can become difficult if the two prefer to focus on each other and just play or become otherwise distracted. Despite the attraction and convenience of always playing/training them together initially, train them separately for awhile until YOU are the focus for both of them. You can also find games together that still keep the focus on you, like 2 ball fetch.

Trust me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fantastic but listen to what I'm saying:

It's extremely common for a young pup to bond primarily with a littermate or other young dog. Training can become difficult if the two prefer to focus on each other and just play or become otherwise distracted. Despite the attraction and convenience of always playing/training them together initially, train them separately for awhile until YOU are the focus for both of them. You can also find games together that still keep the focus on you, like 2 ball fetch.

Trust me.
Thanks will take all that in (y) I have no doubt she will be a lot easier to train and listen to commands unlike the Boxer. They really are a stubborn bread! I don't want her to have the habits he has so will definitely continue to train them separately so thank you for the feedback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts