German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning! :smile2:

I am new here, so hopefully I am in the right place!!

My husband and I met Ava almost two weeks ago now, we did not have intentions of adopting her, but she filled my heart with love from the instant I met her, as her owners could not care for her any longer. We brought her home this past Saturday. Here is what we know:

• Ava is 4 years old, 40lbs, underweight
  • Ava has EPI and has been on Enzymes and Grain Free Food
  • Previous owners had her for about a year and could not properly take care of her
  • She was only fed 1 cup of food 2Xs per day (Sams Club Members Mark Grain Free) with 1tsp of Enzymes
  • In April at time of Rabies her cert says she was 40lbs (Ava is still only 40lbs)

I desperately want to help her, we ordered her medicine since the owners did not have any left, and the dog food they were using (they also had none left), we have moved her from 2 feedings per day to 3 per suggestions of the owners, and everything I have read. I leave her food soak for 20 minutes or sometimes longer with the warm water an enzymes before giving it to her.

We eventually want to transfer Ava to a more premium dog food, as the previous owners could not afford to do so, so they went with what worked for them and Ava. But for now we plan on sticking out the generic dog food for at least the first month before moving her over. We also want to get her and my other dogs all on the same food.

When we received Ava, she had solid poops, but as of last night her poops were not quite liquid, but VERY Squishy, she also seems to PEE a lot, they crated her, but we were hoping to not crate her, but she peed the first two nights, and last night wanted to go outside every hour (and I found "wet fart" spots on the carpet in my room).

I want to make sure I am doing this right, and I am hoping that we can get Ava's weight to a healthy weight, as you can see her rib bones, and her poops at a good solid form! I am hoping for any advice I can get here. Would the feeding schedule cause her poops to go squishy? (going from 2 to 3 times per day)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
When we received Ava, she had solid poops, but as of last night her poops were not quite liquid, but VERY Squishy, Would the feeding schedule cause her poops to go squishy? (going from 2 to 3 times per day)
she also seems to PEE a lot, they crated her, but we were hoping to not crate her, but she peed the first two nights, and last night wanted to go outside every hour (and I found "wet fart" spots on the carpet in my room).
Bless your hearts for taking on this lovely little girl!

Yes. Begin increasing with smaller amounts.

You can use this guide for increasing her food:
When transitioning on to a new food: Always transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change eventually transitioning out the old food.
If stool gets loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

Could be nerves or could be a UTI. A vet check would be in order. Don't allow her to drink a lot after 7pm.

She needs her crate. Her crate is her "safe haven", her den. She will feel safe there. Remember....... you, your home, your activities, the noise in the house are all foreign to her. She needs time to adjust. Keep her quiet for a few weeks. Try putting a sheet over the crate to create security for her.

This site will give you a wealth of information: https://epi4dogs.com/

"Enzyme Diane" is a great site for purchasing enzymes. I needed to use a stronger product (8X) with our first GSD. https://enzymediane.com/

Comb thru both of the above sites. Loads of info!

Do you know if she was tested for Cobalamin/Folate for B12 deficiency or is she already getting a B12 shot?

Moms :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts