German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good ways to teach an automatic down, sit, stand from any distance.. Whether she is 40 feet away, 10 ft, 5ft, or right in front of me?

My girl likes to be RIGHT in front of me when she does any command. If i ask her to sit from a distance she will come over to me and take her sweet time sitting and then look at me. Same with down. I dont mind the speed so much as i mind her doing it immediatly when i ask her to no matter where she is. This will be helpful for the safety of my cats in the house in the future, so its pretty important. And I would love some ideas!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
479 Posts
You will have to get the sit/stay or down/stay command down pat first. When teaching the stay command always return to her side before releasing her. Than gradually from the stay position start out just a few feet away, gradually increasing the distance with your sit, down, stand commands. Pay her for every little success. They will catch on quick.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I used target mats and marker objects (like cones, jump standards, foot targets, etc.) to begin distance work, then practiced with interrupted send-aways and interrupted recalls (sometimes from the mats, sometimes just out of regular Stays) to get variations on the different position stops from motion.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
For down, use two people, voice commands and hand signals.
One person walks away with the dog and gives you their own hand signal for you to command down, both verbal and hand signal. The person with the dog then uses whatever methods you taught for a down. We used a prong, it was only needed one or two times. It might take a few times to get the coordination down.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
as my pup was learning "sit" i used a hand signal for sit. i said
sit and gave the hand signal at the sametime. as my dog got stronger
at sitting i started giving the hand signal for sit. then i would go back
and forth some verbal commands some hand signals. i did this for
"sit", "come", "stop", "heel", "down" and "go through my legs". i also taught him
two of what i call body signals. with my dog on my left side if i
lead off with my left leg he heels (walks with me), if i lead off with
my right leg he stays. yes it gets confusing but not for the dog.
it confuses the human or should i say it gets confusing for me. lol.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I never really thought twice about it really. His sit is solid as well as his down. We use hand signals and vocal commands together and he'll listen no matter the distance... also when he come back inside he has to sit which I just give the hand signal through the window (french doors with glass) and he sits.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Obviously, strong foundation is essential. Verbal and non-verbal (hand signal only) response is ideal. I always taught these commands at a distance with 'place'. Repetition and time led naturally to the ability to down/sit the dog in the middle of a recall. I haven't had to train a send-off and sit/down, so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
You can also back tie the dog.... That way it blocks them from coming to you.. Start close and then gradually work yourself back..

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Outside of the good advice given I'll add: practice makes perfect. Practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I cant really help with the sit but we struggled with the down. I took a cork screw tie out stake and put in the ground, a 30 ft long line fed through the spinny part of the stake connected to his collar.

I started really close and got him in a down and gradually (SLOW SLOW SLOW DAYS and DAYS and DAYS) started to back away. When I got a few steps away and he would try to get up if I pulled the long line it pulled in the down position. It allowed me to get 30 ft away and work on it. Now I use the pager function on the E collar if he gets up I verbally give a firm "down" and hold the vibrate constant until he is down. He is getting to the point where I dont have to use the E Collar all the time but in times of extreme excitement or distraction he still needs it as a reminder.

Other than that practice, practice practice practice. I work mine every single day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We trained Elsa by obviously starting when she was close to us but we used commands for what ever we wanted her to do (sit, down, etc), used a bridge word to let her know what she was doing was correct and to keep doing it (we used "good") and then used a release word to let her know she could break from the command ( we used "yes"). By practicing that, she got to the point that no matter where she was, she ALWAYS recognized those words. To get her excited, we always used a food reward. That kept her motivated to do it correctly. As soon as she heard "yes" she knew she was to come to us for the treat. Didn't matter where she was. This is training we picked up from Michael Ellis. Fantastic. You can watch free videos on the Leerburg website. Good luck :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts