German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 3 year old shepard has just been diagnosed with this disease. Any new treatments out there. The vet does not hold out much hope for him. Any advice. We started steriods last week

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have the technical name as it has alot of letters but it is attacking the skin around his nose and now his eyes.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I would use supplements in addition to the steroids. My dog has autoimmune dry eye, and she is actually doing better on the natural anti inflammatories than she did on the steroids and immune suppressant.

Omega 3's. Fish oil and other omega 3s are a natural anti inflammatory. Double the dose, I use the "double strength" fish oil pills and give 4 daily. 2 at each feeding, most supplements are better used when taken with food.

GLA. Studies have shown GLA in combination with Omega 3 (GLA is an omega 6) increases anti inflammatory effects. Borage oil has the highest percentage of GLA, I again double the dose and give 2 a day of 1300 mg (one each feeding)
http://www.sciencebasedhealth.com/GLA-EPA-DHA-Combination-Advantageous-in-Dry-Eye--W129.aspx
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/gamma-linolenic-000305.htm
http://www.biosyntrx.com/dynimages/products/MetabolicChart.gif

Vitamin E is another anti inflammatory. Works against prostaglandins.

Lutein has shown in studies to be an immune mediator, so it may be helpful in autoimmune conditions. I would bring the research to your vet and ask though, because personally I found some of it a bit confusing and there would be a big difference between immune regulator and immune booster, which would be harmful in autoimmune conditions.
Journal of Investigative Dermatology - Dietary Lutein Reduces Ultraviolet Radiation-Induced Inflammation and Immunosuppression
Dietary Lutein Influences Immune Response in Laying Hens -- Bdcarrats and Leeson 15 (2): 183 -- The Journal of Applied Poultry Research
Effects of dietary antioxidant supplementation on ... [Am J Vet Res. 2000] - PubMed result
Dietary lutein stimulates immune response in the c... [Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2000] - PubMed result
Lutein and Zeaxanthin and Their Potential Roles in Disease Prevention -- Ribaya-Mercado and Blumberg 23 (Supplement 6): 567S -- Journal of the American College of Nutrition

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you I will try this as I do not like the steriods. I will also read all the information that you sent me.

·
Super Moderator
32,693 Posts
Have your vet write down the name of the autoimmune disease he's been diagnosed with. That will make it easier for people to give you advice, and you will also be able to do your own research.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Post gone! Gah! If an autoimmune disease I would want to see a dermatologist and would go with a notebook in hand to jot notes, and ask them to write things down for you. At a university teaching hospital you would get a really great report summarizing what they found so that's another reason I like going there.

The prednisone is the thing that is stopping your dog's system from attacking itself. Picture a school yard fight and the monitor who comes along and tells the other kids to move along so no one else gets involved in it. Without that monitor, the fight goes on and more and more kids get into it, making it much worse.

You can ask about prednisilone which I believe is easier on the liver.

Agree with what Lin says in that make sure you do not add anything that is an immune booster - basically adding more kids to the fight.

Was it Pemphigus?

If DLE that myamom posted that's not so bad as others...right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts