German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! (sorry in advance for the long post)

A few months ago I made a post regarding the obsessive behaviour of my 1(one) yr. old GSD. You can read it here.

I started spending more and more time with him, playing fetch, walking and training.
His behaviour got better, no more mad-spinning and barking at his tail.

But instead I've got myself other problems. His yard is next to the chickens' and rabbits'. Whenever I leave him alone in his yard and ignore him, he starts barking at the other animals, or he would start digging holes energeticely or chew the sticks I use to play with him. But it's not an aggressive barking, some kind of whining and barking combined.
I know I'm at wrong here, but whenever he shows his behaviour I tell him to get quiet and reinforce his habit, because one of my neighbours always curses when he hears my dog, he told me several times to get the dog out of there if I can't control him and other stuff.

Is this a stressed dog's behaviour? Is this attention seeking behaviour?
Or is this another form of OCD?

And another thing that's totally unrelated to the above:

I live in a suburb area and the street where I walk my dog has a lot of houses with other dogs. Most of them are aggressive and bark at my dog. I'm still training him to remain calm and not to bark at the other dogs (and I'm quite successful) but I feel like my dog is getting tensed and a bit anxious not being able to bark back.
I mean, yeah, the environment I walk my dog is not the best (dogs barking from the right and left) but I've got no other place to do it.

I don't think I should allow him to bark (or should I?) but I dislike the thought of him being helpless when being barked at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello! (sorry in advance for the long post)

A few months ago I made a post regarding the obsessive behaviour of my 1(one) yr. old GSD. You can read it here.

I started spending more and more time with him, playing fetch, walking and training.
His behaviour got better, no more mad-spinning and barking at his tail.

But instead I've got myself other problems. His yard is next to the chickens' and rabbits'. Whenever I leave him alone in his yard and ignore him, he starts barking at the other animals, or he would start digging holes energeticely or chew the sticks I use to play with him. But it's not an aggressive barking, some kind of whining and barking combined.
I know I'm at wrong here, but whenever he shows his behaviour I tell him to get quiet and reinforce his habit, because one of my neighbours always curses when he hears my dog, he told me several times to get the dog out of there if I can't control him and other stuff.

Is this a stressed dog's behaviour? Is this attention seeking behaviour?
Or is this another form of OCD?

And another thing that's totally unrelated to the above:

I live in a suburb area and the street where I walk my dog has a lot of houses with other dogs. Most of them are aggressive and bark at my dog. I'm still training him to remain calm and not to bark at the other dogs (and I'm quite successful) but I feel like my dog is getting tensed and a bit anxious not being able to bark back.
I mean, yeah, the environment I walk my dog is not the best (dogs barking from the right and left) but I've got no other place to do it.

I don't think I should allow him to bark (or should I?) but I dislike the thought of him being helpless when being barked at.
Can’t help much with the yard behavior as my girl is an attention hound and will do anything for attention lol. But it’s been mainly good lately.

In regards to walking I find that if I have a single earphone opposes to 2 I can still hear things going on. However when we walk we walk as a way to work and when we are working we“just watch” and keep going at our usual pace. Also I tend to cross over prior to her seeing anything so as to limit her distractions as well and it works pretty well

·
Super Moderator
6,595 Posts
Chickens and rabbits are prey - your dog is a predator.He's excited and frustrated being able to see,hear,smell them,and unable to chase and catch.That's not going to change.When he's alone next to them it's all he has to focus on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts