German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although Michael and I have some disagreements about the hows and whys of bitework, I think that he is the best I have ever heard at explaining dog training. Here is a talk on aggression that does a great job of explaining terms. He also does a great job of constantly explaining that few things are absolute and there is always an exception.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Thanks. I appreciate the time you took to post these. I have actually already watched them. They are very good. I was just looking for practical application.

Also, wasn't sure if I was following the conversation correctly. I thought people were saying that the dog was accessing defense on the flat surfaces. I wasn't seeing it, but since I am so new I just assume that I am wrong and decided to ask.

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would you expect to see that would lead you to believe there was or was not defense?

Mind you I don't think that any dog working well in schutzhund is working in defense or prey as individual drives. IMO, they are working in multiple drives and reasons AT THE SAME TIME. Sometimes one drive is dominate over most but those other drives are still present. Have you ever watch a lava lamp? Notice how blobs of lava rise up and down, twist and bend together and combine and separate? I believe that the drives used for aggression are the same when a dog is working well.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What I observed that made me think that he was in prey...

- The tone of the bark is high and excited
- The dog is bouncing quite a bit
- The tail is high and moving
- It appears (though a bit hard to tell) that the focus is on the sleeve even when the helper isn't wearing it.
- He really responds to the MOVEMENT of the helper
- The dog looks "happy"
- The dog shakes the sleeve once he gets a hold of it
- The helper's hand is very close to the dog's mouth, but he is all about the sleeve (not saying this is a bad thing, just with all the other factors seems to indicate prey)
- As soon as the sleeve is slipped all fight leaves the dog

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What video or you referring to? One, two, or three?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What video or you referring to? One, two, or three?
Most of it I saw in both two and three, but the last two items were specifically video 3.

It seems like the two videos were working on two different things, but many of the behaviors were similar.

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
So...was my assessment completely ridiculous and beyond comment?
:whistle:
He's had 542 posts in just over 6 years - an average of 1.74 posts per week. I expect you might have to wait a few days for him to show up and respond. :poke: :D

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So...was my assessment completely ridiculous and beyond comment?
:whistle:
Not ridiculous at all. You see what you see. I was interested in hearing your opinion. But once again, I don't think that any dog that is working in any sport is only working in prey.

BTW, I think your blog is very interesting.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Not ridiculous at all. You see what you see. I was interested in hearing your opinion. But once again, I don't think that any dog that is working in any sport is only working in prey.
Makes sense. I would be interested in hearing what other people think too. Anyone?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts