German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Registered
282 Posts
I hate changing passwords. I don't have Twitter, Facebook or linked in or any of the other crap. I don't want to have to change my password. I use this password only for this account. I shouldn't have to change my password because other people are not careful. Yet again people who are careful have to pay for those who are nots mistakes.

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
I hate changing passwords. I don't have Twitter, Facebook or linked in or any of the other crap. I don't want to have to change my password. I use this password only for this account. I shouldn't have to change my password because other people are not careful. Yet again people who are careful have to pay for those who are nots mistakes.
I agree that many of the hoops we have to jump through are there because of other peoples' choices. But life is not fair, so time to change a password.

If I can't use fluffy...how about theunfluffed1? :wink2:

·
Premium Member
11,219 Posts
you can always add **** to yours! mine is so old it is unbelievable LOL LOL and has nothing to do with dogs

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
So weird. Who is this Helena? Exact same message on another breed board I belong too - also from Helena. Does Helena even own a dog? I wonder what kind.

Changing password? Probably not. When I can no longer log in - Bye all! I'll miss ya.

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
Helena is an IT person for the owners of this and a number of other boards.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
what kinda damage can anyone do to me if they figure out my password? post a pic? it's not exactly my bank account or my taxes. the admins should be more focused on how easy it is for a program to create an account and flood the boards with spam. every morning i check recent posts and every single morning without a doubt there is like 10 new threads about dell computers or reddit.com.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
with all the spam posts every single morning, why not make the first post be screened and approved to weed out the spam? It may be hard at first on the admin, but not anymore time consuming than deleting all the posts they make repeatedly.

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
So let's see --- someone steals my password for this site... Oh my! They might (I can't imagine why but then I'm getting old) post here under it.... frankly, I can't see what the problem might be. They might use it to get in to another forum under my name.... Again - what would the problem be? I think the forum admin has an inflated sense of the forum's importance.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
C'mon!!! I've been using the same password for 11 years, and my account hasn't been hacked, and I know it. You want to make things better so you make it more difficult. Why???

For heaven's sake, we aren't putting our CC numbers on here!

I don't want to change my password.

I'm on Facebook, and my work network, and need a password for paypal, amazon, fidelity, health, to put my hours in, and so much more. I can't remember them all. The AKC, the Plain Dealer! I have to constantly have them send me my password. And they don't. They make you change it. Then you find out it needs numbers, and capitals, and has to be at least 8 characters, and you can only remember 5 or 6. They tell you it isn't STRONG enough.

Oh for the love of Pete!!!

Let's just leave the passwords alone, and if something happens, we can change it then. Ok? I wouldn't mind keeping my password the same for another 11 years.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I already have a spreadsheet with over 40 passwords and user names on it. Hopefully there will be someone manning the IT help desk when my cookie here expires and my password has to be reset.

And the spam posts would stop if the admin simply blocked ISPs from countries where they mostly originate such as Russia. I'm on another forum that did that and we never have spambots anymore.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I already have a spreadsheet with over 40 passwords and user names on it. Hopefully there will be someone manning the IT help desk when my cookie here expires and my password has to be reset.

And the spam posts would stop if the admin simply blocked ISPs from countries where they mostly originate such as Russia. I'm on another forum that did that and we never have spambots anymore.
I'm on a forum like that too. It's great. Another forum I belong to has a lot of spam and is also making us change passwords - oh wait, that was Helena on the other spam filled, need to change my password site. :grin2:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Fine by me. I'm not sure what seems to be the big deal... If the password for this site isn't important then just have it saved as a word doc on your desktop.

But yes, password expiration is clearly the sign of an egotistical admin gone mad!!!111 /s

·
Super Moderator
4,740 Posts
considering these types of forum sites have no privacy...anyone anywhere in the world can read anything we post...It would be wise to have a unique password and perhaps even screen name, if you are going to be a hot blooded ignorant curr.

I have lists of passwords, and when I am forced to change a password I will. all in all it is a first world problem and I laugh when we complain about something so trivial. Annoying yes, but over all a small problem

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
all in all it is a first world problem and I laugh when we complain about something so trivial. Annoying yes, but over all a small problem
Lol. Yes. Thank you. Like. Thumbs up.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
They are doing this on every site they own. At least two others that I'm a member of. I will not comply so I guess I'll be out of here.

Say goodbye to your advertising dollars.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Hackers here would use your password here - not to post something silly here, but to get into your email account. Your email account is easy for them to hack if you open mail sent to you that has a hacking tool embedded in it. That's why they tell you never to open suspicious email but just delete it.

Once they get into your email, they look for account numbers, c cards, bank accounts, soc sec #'s from insurance policies etc. You'd rather risk that happening than give up you "fluffy" password?

When a site requires all members to change their passwords, it's usually because one or more members did get their account broken into. Last month, a member here reported that they believe this happened with their account.....

It has always been recommended that everyone change their passwords on every online site at least once a year as a standard safety procedure. Just write the new one down on a sticky note and stick it on your monitor frame until you get it memorized.... It's no big deal.....

1 - 20 of 59 Posts