German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a little worried about my Hannah.... She is 3 1/2 and had been a angel all her life. Never a cross word with anyone, dog or person. About a year ago I started dating my SO.... who had a dane. The dane attacted hannah probably 5 or 6 times, mainly food or toy agression. (She is staying with family now because she didnt adjust to our new apartment and destroyed it, so thats no longer a problem) But in the past 3 weeks she has been charged and attacked by two big black dogs that have been lose in the complex. Is this series of events going to cause her to become agressive? She grew up with tiny dogs so the big ones scare her anyways, but its never never caused a problem. Should I do anything with her to prevent any further problems..... I guess im just really upset because this has gotten kinda scary and I dont want it to change how good she is.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
After you complain to the aprtment management about the loose dogs you need to find SAFE dogs to introduce Hannah to. Yes, constantly being harassed by black dogs can cause her to become afraid of ALL black dogs.

Next time you are out and another dogs comes charging at her you need to step in front of her - between her and the oncoming dog. This signals to her that YOU will handle this. Then you need to handle it. I start by yelling AAAAAAAACK! If the dog doesn't react I will step into them and yell more. If necessary - I will kick or hit the dog to make it back off. Sorry, but I am NOT letting another dog injure mine - even if I have to get bit in the process.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like a good idea.... the last two times i just assumed they were going to come up and smell, because that what has always happened in that situation. I need to be more assertive in the future. She has found some nice dog friends. Most of them are less than 20lb though! She grew up with a little rat dog so she likes the little ones.

I guess I do need to complain to the appt. Our complex claims to have a very strict one dog complaint and its gone policy. (i dont know if they enforce it) I guess I have to much of a soft heart.... I just chewed the owners up and down. One guy was a cop too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts