German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope it's the right place for asking help. Well, I am totally new to German Shepherd, just adopted a 6-month old puppy (Atom). He is very active and aggressive, but when I take him to local park to run and chase Go-Go Dog Pal, but he shows no interest. Other dogs in the park love to run for chasing this interactive dog toy. Can anyone suggest me what I do to create his interest in running and chasing toys?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Perhaps your pup was distracted or spooked by something at the park. Has he enjoyed playing with this toy before? I wasn't familiar with the Go Go Dog Pal so I looked it up online. Looks like a cool way to exercise the pups, but a little pricey. Their Facebook page is hilarious! Great dog photos with funny captions.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
My girl wasnt very interested either... How old is your pup? My girl is 7 months old now and is starting to show more and more interest including sticks and balls which she had absolutely NO interest in whatsoever but her ball/toy/stick "drive" has increased a lot as she has gotten older, I just tried to make everything fun and eventually she started to want to play too... Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Perhaps your pup was distracted or spooked by something at the park. Has he enjoyed playing with this toy before? I wasn't familiar with the Go Go Dog Pal so I looked it up online. Looks like a cool way to exercise the pups, but a little pricey. Their Facebook page is hilarious! Great dog photos with funny captions.
Yea I just looked it up... cheapest one is $229!! WOW, no thanks, I will go buy a remote control car and make my own shell WAYYY cheaper lol Your pup might be too young to have the prey drive to chase something like that or he is just not interested, im sure he will as he gets older...

·
Registered
164 Posts
If the prey drive isn't there I'm not sure it can be created :-\ Does Atom chase anything else? Squirrels or cats?

When I was training fetch I would give Shadow a treat whenever she was interested in her ball... maybe put a treat on the toy and praise her when she goes over and noses it. Or strap a bowl with a bit of chicken and tease her with it :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about their facebook page. Well, Atom loves playing with this toy at home and backyard. He also liked so much chasing it in the park, but over that last few days he is behaving strange to it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure about their facebook page. Well, Atom loves playing with this toy at home and backyard. He also liked so much chasing it in the park, but over that last few days he is behaving strange to it.
Other dogs in the park might be putting him off. Might be better to keep the toy at home. My older Golden has lost interest in fetch since my GSD is INTENSELY into getting that ball. She was kinda iffy about fetch in the first place though :p

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
if hes chasing toys at home i dont think its because of prey drive. it maybe because hes at a new place. Our almost 5 month old is the same way. Hes fine to chase the ball and toys at home but when we go to the beach he doesnt chase anything. Everyone told me its because hes a little overwhelmed with all the dogs, water etc. We dont force him we let him go play if he wants to and if not he stays close to us.

if its really prey drive though, try a flirt pole.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
if hes chasing at home but not at the dog park then he clearly finds things at the dog park more interesting than the toy. the dogs are just more fun to play with. either that or hes overloaded with the new environment and unsure.

you can only bring out prey drive but not increase it. some dogs will chase a ball ALL DAY. some will chase it 15 minutes and then quit. you can bring it out his prey drive by back tying him to a tree or fence and tease him. frustration builds drive. but only to a certain extent. you can frustrate him all you want but some dogs will only enjoy chasing a ball for a couple of minutes. some dogs just have tons and tons of prey drive and some dont

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I know you got this advice elsewhere but I'll repeat it here because (speaking as someone who has fostered and rescued many dogs) it's spot on. He is still settling in and it can take a while to feel comfortable enough to play.

I would recommend doing some games with him to help the two of you bond and to help build his confidence and play drive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts