German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was afraid I'd clog up the thread if I posted 9 in a row so I'm listing them all there.

31228 & 31229 – Sable & Hannah | Athenspets.net
31231 & 31230 – Murphy & Wesley | Athenspets.net
31232 – Hailey | Athenspets.net
31233 – Rogue | Athenspets.net
31234 – Jebber | Athenspets.net
31235 – Fisher | Athenspets.net
31236 – Stark | Athenspets.net

31228 & 31229 – Sable & Hannah

31231 - Murphy

31230 - Wesley

31232 – Hailey

31233 – Rogue

31234 – Jebber

31235 – Fisher

31236 – Stark

These dogs need to go to experienced German Shepherd rescues, or with rescues that have experienced trainers that could rehabilitate the dogs. They are not well socialized and are exhibiting fear-avoidance behavior. They have not shown ANY aggression, even when pushed and stressed. They are all extremely smart and once their trust has been earned, will make excellent companions. They will need patience and consistent training. These dogs were confiscated from a breeder that kept the dogs in terrible conditions. A few of these dogs have been confiscated before, but hopefully this time the breeder will lose the dogs in court. All of the dogs are available to rescues, but don’t pull them just because your heart aches for them. They need proper socialization through an experienced handler. They shut down when people come near them. They don’t have a clue what a leash or even a collar is. They’ve rarely had human contact. They are gorgeous dogs and “somewhat healthy”. None of them are on the edge of starvation, or have serious injuries. Several have been bred numerous times. Their time will be up soon and they are taking up a lot of space at the shelter.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Oh my goodness X 9. That is so very sad. They are beautiful dogs. What is wrong with people?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i would take Murphey if i could. I hate having experience with this and not being able to help in these instances. Its another reason i cant wait til we own our house instead of renting. Wishing and hoping and praying for these guys and gals. They're all so beautiful. Its sad they're in such a position.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
How sad, I hope this time they throw the breeder in jail!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the story behind these guys because it seems you guys no more than was posted on the website. I haven't been to the AC since they came in to ask. You guys seem to be familiar with them though...

I seriously hope at least some of these guys get rescued; it seems like most rescues go for the healthy and temperamentally sound ones, at least at this shelter. And AC is seriously overflowing with dogs, when aren't they? These guys deserve to see what's actually so grand about living :(

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am going to try and work on pulling at least one of them- don't really care which- I am currently trying to find a foster to take in one of my dogs so I can take on one of these- I am not making promisses but I am going to try and pull one. I have a lot of experience with the anti-social, fearful dogs.... I am trying my best....

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Is this the breeder that was a member here?
The dogs don't stick out to me, but some of the names do, but maybe because others have dogs named that. :confused: How to know the breeder they were sized from ? I never clicked on any other info yet, sorry.

The dogs are all so gorgeous !!! :wub: Poor Jebber though..... :( Very sad they have had it rough & sure HOPE they all get a 2nd chance. :help:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am not a rescue but I would be more than willing to give one a home if he/she was good around children and cats. I am an experienced gsd owner and would be happy to work on socialization.

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
Nine dogs, one of them is an old fellow. What is going on here? The dogs do not look neglected or starving? Why were they siezed? What were the horrible conditions? Why should the owner be in jail.

None of these dogs are aggressive? And yet they are undersocialized. This kind of bothers me. Why are dogs that look perfectly healthy being siezed by animal control?

How exactly can they tell the dogs have been bred "numerous" times? If a bitch has whelped and raised a litter, she may be carrying her teets lower than usual for a while -- but I do not know of any signs that would show a bitch has been bred "numerous" times.

The dogs have been siezed in the past, meaning the owner was able to convince a judge that the dogs were siezed without proper cause? Why would that not be possible twice if it happened once. Why is it not possible that this person had an enemy who believes any breeding is bad breeding.

What makes me question this, besides the fact that these dogs look like they are in good condition, but that one old fellow looks OLD. A crappy breeder would probably dump or download such an old fellow, but this breeder seems to be taking care of him like the rest.

How do we KNOW that this is not just someone's dogs.

As for the leashes and collars. Mine have had collars and leashes on, but they do not wear them all the time. They get excited about them because it means they are going with me. I only put them on them when I take them somewhere.

I do not see any of them with coat problems. If the conditions were that bad, I think that would probably show up there. I do not see toenail issues. Dogs that are left to rot in kennels often have their tonails extra long and curling up.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I must agree here Sue & wonder what's going on. :confused:

All look to be in great condition to me. :wub:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
If you read poor Jebbers story, it says she was matted with feces. And she was last known to have had a litter at 10yo. This doesn't tell me that the person was taking good care of them. She breaks my heart more than any of them.

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
Quote: "Jebber tares me up inside. She is 11 years old, in heat, and has feces mated all over her body. She’s been bred hundreds of times over the past decade. She was last seen pregnant when she was 10 years old. No dog should ever have to suffer the way she has."

See this is why pounds and rescues should stick to facts. This is not even possible, much less is there ANY way to prove it.

It makes you have to question all else that is said.

If indeed she was matted with fecies, then no dog should have to suffer like that. She looks pretty darn good for an eleven year old dog living in a cesspool. She probably rolled in the mud, and then had a few lumps in her kennel when they came to investigate. If she was so bad off, her coat and skin and tonails would show it.

I simply believe they are trying to find this dog a good home, and because she is older, they are trying to gain sympathy on her.

Hundreds of times, my foot. Bitches only go into heat twice a year -- hello!!!

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
If you read poor Jebbers story, it says she was matted with feces. And she was last known to have had a litter at 10yo. This doesn't tell me that the person was taking good care of them. She breaks my heart more than any of them.
Ok, I guess I need to click on each & read. Only clicked on top link & told me no more than listing here so, didn't click on others. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Well obviously the "hundreds of times" line is BS. That is impossible for any animal. Why they would exaggerate that I have no idea. And the picture doesn't show her skin or nails. My thought is this: why on earth would they confiscate 9 dogs KNOWING that finding placement for them would be difficult, if not down right impossible, if they didn't have a reason?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Ok, I guess I need to click on each & read. Only clicked on top link & told me no more than listing here so, didn't click on others. :crazy:
The only one with extra info is Jebber's. I looked at all of them because I am trying to figure out if I could foster one ( I start a new job in 2 weeks so I just don't know) but I am also heartbroken over the 7 year old in GA that the owners surrendered and only has a week left.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Yes, would be nice to win the lotto, start a rescue & save them all............. :cry:

·
Registered
31,983 Posts
Well obviously the "hundreds of times" line is BS. That is impossible for any animal. Why they would exaggerate that I have no idea. And the picture doesn't show her skin or nails. My thought is this: why on earth would they confiscate 9 dogs KNOWING that finding placement for them would be difficult, if not down right impossible, if they didn't have a reason?
I know it is a conspiracy theory, but there are people out there that do not believe any dog should be bred ever. And even if the dogs die in the shelter, it is better that then the breeder be allowed to bring more puppies into the world and make money off of them.

This seems to be the one case where you are guilty until proved innocent. If AC comes in and siezes your dogs, you will have to hire a lawyer and present evidence and PROVE that you were not violating any rules or neglecting your dogs. It sounds like this person did this once already. And I just have to wonder when looking at the dogs, why they were confiscated.

Pick out nine dogs of board members here, then look in the health section, or in the picture section. See if you see any covered in mud in the picture section. See if you have any with skin/weight problems in the health section.

The dogs really do not appear neglected. Maybe animal control HAS proved its case with pictures, etc. That is fine. Hope the dogs do ok.

But I also think it is possible that the dogs were siezed to shut down what someone considers to be a puppy mill.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
And if it IS a puppy mill?? Should the person get to keep their dogs when they are being so irresponsible? All we ever hear and it drummed into our brains is that puppy mill= bad, bad, bad. I actually just kind of figured that is what it was since it sounds like that they are just being bred indiscriminately.

And covered in mud isn't exactly matted. I have brought Dharma home from the dog park covered from nose to tail in dirt and mud. But I clean her up. And no matter how hard she plays and wrestles at the park or how much she likes to roll around my back yard she has never, NEVER been covered in feces and certainly not to the point it was matted.

Yes, the dogs are obviously being fed, but you and I and everyone on this board knows there is more to taking care of a dog then just putting a bowl of kibble in front of them. And the fact that these dogs have not been socialized at all speaks volumes as well. And the fact they have fear avoidance issues rather then being aggressive makes me wonder how they were treated as well.

I can't begin to guess why they would have been taken before and then returned. But I do feel that they were not in a good situation. But that is just MHO.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts