Many times we see people join the board to say they have a 5 or 6 week old puppy. The usual reason why people want to get rid of puppies that young:
- The mom has stopped feeding them so now the person has to buy food for the puppies and with a large litter that can be expensive
- Mom stops cleaning up after the puppies and now the person has to - can be lots of extra work
- In general - the puppies become alot more work between 5 and 8 weeks of age and the person doesn't want to be bothered
- Bite inhibition - this is a VERY important lesson that the puppy will learn from both the mom and littermates. Puppies who don't learn bite inhibition at a young age can develop biting problems as they mature.
- Socialization - a puppy learns socialization from it's mom and littermates. Mom teaches the puppies what's allowed as far as behavior goes and what's not allowed. Their littermates start teaching them correct dog-to-dog social skills.