German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently feeding Ranger Acana Large Breed Puppy. He is coming up on his 6 month birthday.

I was wondering at what age everyone is switching over to adult food?
Was thinking grain free since my other dogs are on Orijen but maybe he should stay on puppy food.

I have usually moved my dogs off of puppy food at 6 months...

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I never feed a puppy mix. Always a good premium adult...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
any food that doesnt have excess calcium (EVO, Core, TOTW...or other grainless foods) should be fine. Orijen is one grain free that id consider safe for large breed pups.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
its up to you when you switch. Some users on this site you'll find never even fed puppy food. they went straight to adult food. I currently feed Shasta puppy food but depending on how things go in a couple months, i may just switch her over to adult food or keep her on puppy food until she's a year old. I may even do a mixture of puppy and adult food until she's 18 months old or so. We'll see. Its a preference thing.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Some people never feed their pups puppy food, others will feed it until they're a year old. It's really based on preference, but if you feed an adult food, make sure the levels are all safe for a large breed puppy.

I'm personally going to feed Ozzy puppy food until he's 6 months old.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I feed TASTE OF THE WILD which does not have a puppy formula. Its considered an all ages dog food. They have a few different flavors you can cycle though with out hurting your dogs stomach. So far my 15 week old is doing well on it. I like it because it is corn free.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I feed TASTE OF THE WILD which does not have a puppy formula. Its considered an all ages dog food. They have a few different flavors you can cycle though with out hurting your dogs stomach. So far my 15 week old is doing well on it. I like it because it is corn free.
It's been discussed plenty of times here, but TOTW is not a good choice for a german shepherd puppy. It's got good ingredients, but has too much calcium for a large breed puppy. Better to hold off on the TOTW line until 1.5-2 years old.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I like the nutrient distribution of large breed puppy foods. It is not necessary to feed, but I have in recent times used it with every puppy with good results. I feed the large breed puppy food until over a year old....14 months or so.

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
I went the 'safe' route and fed high quality LBP for a year then switched to adult food.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You can safely feed a puppy anything you want if you ration the portion size accordingly.

if the portion size required to maintain a healthy weight throughout the growing stages results in excess calcium intake, then, no you cant safely feed a puppy anything you want.

thats why so many recommned keeping the Ca levels lower while they are growing. most of the grainless foods make that difficult.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I picked up a bag of Orijen large breed puppy and will gradually start him on this until he is a year old since I wanted to go grain free.
I really like the Acana large breed puppy that I am feeding now; like the idea of grain free so I am making the switch gradually over the next week.
I think I will feed this until the spring and switch over to adult.
My other guys are on Orijen.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I never fed puppy food.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I picked up a bag of Orijen large breed puppy and will gradually start him on this until he is a year old since I wanted to go grain free.
I really like the Acana large breed puppy that I am feeding now; like the idea of grain free so I am making the switch gradually over the next week.
I think I will feed this until the spring and switch over to adult.
My other guys are on Orijen.
Just my opinion, but you might want to extend that timeframe out some more. Going slow is an easier transition.

Elvis is 6 months old, he's been on Orijen LBP and doing very well. I'll probably keep him on this food up to 1 year. I haven't figured out what I will feed him after 1 year but I'll probably pick a couple of different foods and switch him back and forth every 6 months.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
It's been discussed plenty of times here, but TOTW is not a good choice for a german shepherd puppy. It's got good ingredients, but has too much calcium for a large breed puppy. Better to hold off on the TOTW line until 1.5-2 years old.
Does it make a difference if the dog is a Lab? My daughter has a 5 month old female Silver Lab and I recommended BB because of the cost factor but now with the recall I am not feeling the love so I was looking @ TOTW.

So many people do not feed puppy food at all so without paying over $50.00 a bag what would you recommend in my daughters situation.These are two 23 year old youngsters who just bought a house and can't afford Orijen which is my choice of food.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.