German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all. If you bring a male pup home I assume he would need to be a certain age before you have to worry about it?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Depends on what you mean by young? They can get interested at a pretty young age! I was told the same thing, and walked into the room to see my 5 month old male puppy attempting to mount his mother. She of course was intent on teaching him!! This was 20 years ago, never made that mistake again.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Finn was showing "interest" signs when the bitch down the street was in heat at six months old. My breeder told me when you see more than one dangly bit, that's when you need to start worrying.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Like the majority of warm blooded creatures, and like us, humans, dogs have both - female and male hormones. Of course, the male hormones prevail in every man, and female hormones in every woman. But... It is the ratio of hormons makes us more or less the men, more or less the women. So in dogs. Some are potential, and some are not very. The potential ones also are more dominant. The real hormonal flow start rushing when the male is about one year old, but, I have heard about some cases when 6 months old boy had managed to impregnate much older bitch to the astonishment of his owner. It would never happen in nature, the domineering male would definitely suppress him. Normally, we shouldn't mistake these rather weak attempts for his wish to dominate, because males often try topping another dog (regardless to sex) purely for this purpose. Early sex will stop his physical development altogether, when he could grow bigger, bulkier (and more intelligent) otherwise. Unfortunately, early sterilization does the same, ideally males should be sterilized at 2, because their mental maturity comes about that time.

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
Early sex will stop his physical development altogether, when he could grow bigger, bulkier (and more intelligent) otherwise.
That is the weirdest thing I have heard lately. Early sex is different than early neutering. Just because he looses a few million sperm cells doesn't mean he loses his testosterone.
In the human population we would see a lot of tiny males if that were true :D

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
. Early sex will stop his physical development altogether, when he could grow bigger, bulkier (and more intelligent) otherwise
What are your medical references for this one?
If that were true, three quarters of the world's male population would look like 13 year olds.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Ha-ha-ha!!! Oh, dear! I knew it... Whenever you talk about the dog - the guy assumes to be the object. Well... It is easy to explain: when the organism finds necessity to use the sperm, the organism will redirect its energy to replenish exhausted resources. The dog aquires a bee in his bonnet, his attention is redirected, he is in constant search of the females, and he will run away from his master.
If the sperm wasn't spent, the organism economizes on its production and the energy is used for further development of the body. The risk that your male may run away from you if he didn't have sex is smaller than if he did, his intellect is not focused on one and the same. The she-wolf comes into season once a year, the bitch should be the same, but dogs have much better life, subsequently can breed more often - twice a year. Still, impossible to compare them with humans who may have sex nearly twenty four seven. We were built differently.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I'm sorry.. but that's simply not true. Early mating will not halt physical or mental growth.
Breeding females as pups themselves can cause issues, and growth problems, males? Ah, no. It simply won't. Or most BYB males would be midgets.

I'd like to know who told you that mess.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
A German Shepherd male should be older than 2, that is AKC standard for the show line. But that mainly concerns the dog's health checks. In the working line the male age for breeding is 3, only then the dog is fully tested, it is physically impossible to get that many diplomas for the breeder-handler with a single dog. Dog's intellect is inherited, I tried hard to find (or recall) the name of that author from Belgium who so beautifully explains the loss of intelligence in German Shepherds through modern breeding programs, but I couldn't.

·
Registered
10,356 Posts
If the sperm wasn't spent, the organism economizes on its production and the energy is used for further development of the body.
Oh, now I understand how they developed the toy breeds; they just let them mate at 6 months! Ha, ha, April fools day is long over. I am curious which study you are quoting.
I cannot believe you are serious, are you?

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I'm sorry, but that is just plain silly.
And you still did not cite medical references.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
I wish this were true. I would've had him do the deed at four months, and owned the world's only miniature German Shepherd.:D

... cause there aren't any. Now, D. Taggert, watch your young male that he won't breed or he'll will look like a Schipperke next year.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
A German Shepherd male should be older than 2, that is AKC standard for the show line. But that mainly concerns the dog's health checks. In the working line the male age for breeding is 3, only then the dog is fully tested, it is physically impossible to get that many diplomas for the breeder-handler with a single dog.
Oh boy...where to start...

First of all, this is the AKC stance on the age of breeding just in terms of registering the litter:
American Kennel Club - Frequently Asked Questions
8 months for a bitch and 7 months for a male.

For the SV:
Minimum Age of the Breeding Animal:
The male must have had his 2nd birthday by the time of the breeding. Bitches must be at least 20 months old by the first breeding use (date of mating).

I didn't know dogs could get diplomas - must be a pretty special dog!! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts