German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder with how many weeks he shows symptoms and behaviour of your superiority. I actually ask because he jumped me like crazy, he bit me, now after 2-3 days following what books say, he does not jump at me and not bite at all. He licks me gently and I let him 2-3 licks, then take my hand off and walk away. He does not jump me at all, he basically comes, looks at me and I ignore him, then he sits down and I praise him.

With my wife, he jumps, tries to bite her her etc but she is getting much better and much more respect from him too.

Is it possible that male dog owners get alpha faster over females when you have a puppy male dog ? My wife does exactly the same as me but it seems he follows me and learns his manners with me quicker than with hers.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I wonder with how many weeks he shows symptoms and behaviour of your superiority.
Well, it took a few days but Dante started bowing down to me when I entered the room after probably 2 - 3 days. It took a little longer (maybe a week) to get him to do the dishes, wash the floor, run my bath for me, and take care of the laundry. We're still working on yardwork (more alpha rolls probably will be necessary to accomplish this, he's stubborn about yard work).

I'll let you know how it goes. :)

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
I want whatever Rerun is drinking.

Mine started following me almost immediately. She took a couple months to consider my wife a 'beta'. At 16 months I am still alpha but my wife is a very close second.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
They see you from the moment you bring them home. After that is up to you and how you treat the puppy. It's a life long thing keeping your status as top dog and you have to work at it that long too.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Well, it took a few days but Dante started bowing down to me when I entered the room after probably 2 - 3 days. It took a little longer (maybe a week) to get him to do the dishes, wash the floor, run my bath for me, and take care of the laundry. We're still working on yardwork (more alpha rolls probably will be necessary to accomplish this, he's stubborn about yard work).

I'll let you know how it goes. :)
HAHHAHAHAHAH! LOVE IT!!

We have kind of a weird dynamic here, Blitz sees my husband as someone to give the highest respect to but is 100% bonded to me first. If she does something bad she listens well to his displine (I only mean saying no) but when it comes to regular training stuff she will listen to his commands maybe the second time he gives them as where when it's me she is SO eager to please me and do everything correctly and quickly.

·
Registered
371 Posts
He does not jump me at all, he basically comes, looks at me and I ignore him, then he sits down and I praise him.

With my wife, he jumps, tries to bite her her etc but she is getting much better and much more respect from him too.

Is it possible that male dog owners get alpha faster over females when you have a puppy male dog ? My wife does exactly the same as me but it seems he follows me and learns his manners with me quicker than with hers.
It's not a matter of gaining "alpha" status, or your dog submitting to you, contrary to popular belief, dogs don't think that way. While packs of dogs do end up with a loose structure to them, it's nothing like in the wild with wolves, even if you're talking about wild dog packs.

It's a matter of bonding with your dog, and your dog getting a sense of who "means business" and who can be manipulated into letting the dog get away with stuff. I'm a woman, but since I do most of the training and my husband does more of the people-food-giving, my dog sees my husband more as the push-over and me more as the one to listen to.

I'm guessing you probably take more of an initiative in training, feeding, and walking your dog. I'm also guessing you have more of a presence when it comes to articulating what you want from him (strong vocal differences between praise and correction, that sort of thing) than your wife does. If you want your dog to listen to her more, it'd be a good idea to get her to take more of an active roll in those things, and also to join a puppy obedience class. There, you have a trainer in front of you to help you out with things in your body language and voice that you might not be aware of. It's also a fantastic bonding experience for you and your dog, and great socialization to boot. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.