German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let your dog sleep outside of the crate at night with free run of the house? Kain is 10 mos old and very well behaved in the house, I just don't want to set him up for failure if it's too soon to let him stay out at night. I realize this is probably an individual dog thing but I'm just looking for a generalization. Thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've never used a crate in my life.

I just heard the term as of late and don't think I could cage an animal unless it was for it's own good. (i.e. the Mule Deer fawn we rescued in colorado) By cage, I mean indoors. We have penned animals outside but they were huge pens for the most part.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Ace has always slept beside my bed on his bed, he has never been crated at night. My bedroom was gated so that he was confined to that room with me at night, he has never pottied in there or bothered anything.

He just turned 8mo and I have as of 2 weeks ago taken down the gate. So far so good.

As far as leaving him out if I am away from home, I have not got brave enough for that yet. He is then in a crate. :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

·
5,627 Posts
After a year. And even then, they are confined to the bedroom and hall.

Each dog matures at their own rate and can be trusted at different ages. I let them loose at night in my room way before they have full run of the house without supervision. I also do that gradually and slowly build up the amount of time they are left loose.

Just a general FYI, if you give your dog full run of the house at night, pull up the water bowl to prevent potty accidents.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Frag has been out at night for most of his life, he just sleeps. During the day he was crated or penned for most of his adolescence, now (1 year) he's allowed to stay in the living room while we're gone and has been doing so successfully. He's never been much of a chewer, so we weren't worried about that, and he's leaving the cat alone so far. Definitely don't expect him to be having accidents. He's great.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My GSD is still created at night, and she's anywhere from 2-6 years old. When I got her, I was told that she was NOT house trained. I found that her biggest problem wasn't that she wasn't housetraind, as much as it was she was marking her territory. She still has problems remembering not to pee in the house. I'm thankfull that she hasn't left any piles for me to clean. I think she understands that concept now.

I let her outside of her crate, from time to time to "test the waters" so to speek and when I do, I sleep really lightly. She can sleep all night but as soon as she's up I watch her like a hawk. She still hasn't learned yet to let me know when she has to go outside and pee. She still has some potential though, I think that I can very soon allow her to tend to her own affairs.

Usually it shouldn't take more than a few months of crate training to get a dog to where they won't want to make a mess in the house. I find carpeting to be the biggest hendrence. It's too much like the grass outside, too absorbant. :smirk:

I think crate training is way better than the "old" method of waiting till the puppy makes a mess. Then what do you do? Yell at it? push it's nose in the mess? perhaps swat it with a newspaper roll? Nah... crate training, much easier. :)

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Dodger is always crated when we're not home, I'm not big on the idea of leaving multiple dogs (regardless of breed, sex and age) loose unsupervised. at night Dodgers been out if his crate since he was two ish because he'd counter surf. now he sleeps in my room with me while Molly sleeps in my moms room or sometimes with me. Dodger has never chewed anything in my room, probably from fear of getting caught. so in other words my dogs aren't left alone together unsupervised regardless of the time of day :)

·
2,967 Posts
Never? Argos has not slept in his crate since he was about 1.5 years old...but we always confined him to our bedroom with us.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I never crated my Great Dane but limited his area to a "puppy safe room" until 6 months. I have been lucky, all my dogs potty trained well. No accidents after the beginner puppy stage, but I thank the doggy door for that.

Sasha is the only one that still insists on sleeping in hers at night. She will have little panic attacks if we don't "tuck her in" by 11pm, lol everyone else has slept on the floor near my bed or in the other rooms since puppies.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my pup was out of his crate at 4 months old.
everything was fine untill he turned 8 months.
at 8 months old he decided to eat the house and
everything that's in it. :crazy:. at 8 months he was crated
again untill he was a year or older. he was only crated
when we weren't home.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
All mine got to start sleeping out of the crate at 5 months BUT I put a doggie gate up that limited them to my room during the night. They do not get free privileges when I'm gone (day) until they are tested which is generally around 15 months.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Meeka never knew the inside of a crate (probably not a good thing as she had to be hospitalized two different times and it would have helped if she was comfortable with it more than she was)

Allie, basically as soon as she came home at about a year old could be outside the crate at night

Kelso... 3.5 years old until that even happened or was tried :)
He still chooses to sleep in his crate at night anyway.

It really does depend.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Dakota was never caged. He slept in my parents bed. I cant remember if the door was closed, probably not. He was an extremely rare good puppy. He never went potty in the house (we got him at 7 weeks) and only chewed 1 flip flop and a wooden box that was intended to hold playing cards. He also had the tendency to shred newspapers if they were in his reach. No biggie.Ditto was just under 5 months when I let her out at night. She did really well, usually not chewing anything important (usually just something like 1 paper) and never having an accident. Daisy actually slept in bed with me without the door closed and I would wake up if she got up. She despised the cage. We only put her in it if we were leaving and that only lasted a few months and then she injured herself getting out and we never did it again

In general, I hate cages! I know some dogs dont mind them or like them but it bothers me to put them in it. I just watched a puppy for my neighbor while they were out of town and they said they cage her at night ( she is somewhere around 4-5months.) She was perfectly good all day and when the time came to put her in it I couldn't. She slept on my bed, never left until I got up the next morning. She was fine. Overall, at 10 mo your dog will probably be fine out of a cage, especially if you leave him in the room you sleep in.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I started letting Stosh out at night when he was about 5 mos old but I crated him when I wasn't home until he was about 10 mos. I probably could have done it sooner because he's never done anything wrong.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Only about 2 months ago! (14months)

·
Registered
316 Posts
We usually start letting them sleep outside of the crate at about 1 year but Ridley sleeps so well in the crate that I'm not really thinking about changing anything right now.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
My dogs are nearly two years old and they are still in their crates at night and will continue to be for all their lives as long as we have cats. I like that we can give the cats a break since they like to roam the house at night and also to sleep in our bedroom too (where the dogs are crated).

If we didn't have cats, we'd probably let them sleep with the crate doors open.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts