German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loki's now 6 months old and whilst I work 4 days a week he's crated at home. Before and after work he gets long walks. This used to satisfy him enough to sleep in the room with us at night without making a fuss. Apparently not anymore.
Last night we got very little sleep and loki is still running around like a monster. He's got chews, toys and all sorts to occupy him. I didn't want to have to crate him at night as well but the lack of sleep is getting to us and that seems like the only solution. Problem is I don't want him crated during the day and at night :/
Also he chewed up the carpet and floorboards last night when my partner (from sheer exhaustion) left the bedroom door open. God knows what we'll say to the landlord!
Please help, I'm at my wits end with him as nothing seems to work. :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Does he get any mental exercise? You might need to up the physical, but I find mental exercise tires them out much better. Obedience training, tricks, tracking or find it games etc

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Crating him at night and while you are working won't kill him or ruin his personality. He's 6 months old. My guy is 6 months old and still sleeps downstairs in his crate because he can't stay still upstairs in his crate yet. He spends the night in the crate and roughly 4-9 hours in his crate during the day depending on our schedule. I'm a stay at home mom but I'm kept pretty busy out of the house with various appointments and errands. Neither of my dogs have suffered for it.

Exercise physically helps but exercise mentally must also be in there. A dog is going to get worn out mentally and able to settle better far more than being worn out physically. Same goes for people. You have trouble sleeping because you can't turn your mind off to do it. You're physically worn out but if your mind is just going and going, you're not likely to get much sleep.

Lots of short training sessions throughout the day you're with him as well as physical exercise and crate him at night should help him learn to settle down more easily at bedtime.

And crate time is broken up during the day for potty breaks. its rare I'm gone the entire day.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Crating him at night and while you are working won't kill him or ruin his personality. He's 6 months old. My guy is 6 months old and still sleeps downstairs in his crate because he can't stay still upstairs in his crate yet. He spends the night in the crate and roughly 4-9 hours in his crate during the day depending on our schedule. I'm a stay at home mom but I'm kept pretty busy out of the house with various appointments and errands. Neither of my dogs have suffered for it.

Exercise physically helps but exercise mentally must also be in there. A dog is going to get worn out mentally and able to settle better far more than being worn out physically. Same goes for people. You have trouble sleeping because you can't turn your mind off to do it. You're physically worn out but if your mind is just going and going, you're not likely to get much sleep.

Lots of short training sessions throughout the day you're with him as well as physical exercise and crate him at night should help him learn to settle down more easily at bedtime.

And crate time is broken up during the day for potty breaks. its rare I'm gone the entire day.
Agreed! I am also home all day, but my dogs get regular crate time, during the day and they are both in their crates at night. The corgi is probably old enough to sleep outside his crate (17 months), but I still don't totally trust him. It's important that my dogs are calm when they are in their crates. They have to travel in the car in crates, wait in crates during training, etc....I think sometimes we put ourselves in our dogs "paws" and think "well I wouldn't like a crate." Well, of course not, you're a human. But dogs are naturally den animals, feel safe in their "rooms" and (imo) require it. I've read, and been told, that a lot of dogs can't handle the freedom of not having a crate/den. It's overwhelming and they displace that anxiety into chewing/eating/digging, etc....your dog will be fine in his crate. As long as mental and physical energy is used during the day, the crate will be a welcome haven at night and periodically throughout the day. My corgi goes in on his own now to sleep with the door open....all of my dogs have always gotten to that point. :)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
He is at that chewing age. You have to find appropriate things for him to chew or he will find his own chew toys. I find frozen raw beef marrow (soup) bones work really well although some people say don't because he could break a tooth. There are good and bad things about just every chew out there from rawhide, to bully sticks to antlers.... The point is he will chew something so either you choose or he will choose for you and it will not be things you want chewed. :)

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
My dogs are crated whenever I am not on top of them, pretty much. My older male has gained enough trust for me to leave him in a room when I leave the house, but my young puppy is still crated whenever I am not home and again at night. It won't kill them :)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
My dogs are crated whenever I am not on top of them, pretty much. My older male has gained enough trust for me to leave him in a room when I leave the house, but my young puppy is still crated whenever I am not home and again at night. It won't kill them :)
Exactly my pups lives!

It's not about all the time they are crated at night and when I'm at work.

It's about me being PROactive and scheduling my life the first year or so around my new puppy. Dog classes. Hiking. Chuckit. Swimming. Playdates with friends and their dogs.

This puppy thing IS hard. It's not just you and you aren't going crazy :) . But having a better plan makes all the difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts