German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Midnite has now been home for 8 days. His poop was like water the first day, then went to a very loose stool. Over the course of the last 8 days, I have seen one semi firm poop..I was very excited, then it went back to being almost water and back to loose stool. This stuff is not easy to pick up:( He has been dewormed and the fecal was done on Saturday, but I'm not counting on that coming back positive, although it would be nice if it did, then I would have an answer. I have tried the following, not necessarily in this order...Rice, rice/chicken, rice water, pumpkin, yogurt, perfect form, a raw chicken thigh, and metronidazole. NOTHING is working and the vet says he's healthy. He has gained 4 pounds and now you can't feel his ribs. Is there anything else I can try? I'm out of ideas. He goes poop about 3-4 times a day...two on schedule like all the rest of them and then maybe once or twice shortly after he eats. I have noticed that sometimes he has to go within a short time after he eats, almost like a puppy would??? He was eating pedigree, but once he got here he got the Annamaet Lean, which is suppose to be a food that is easy on the stomach. I know a lot has changed in his life, but is this normal? No one seems concerned about it, but me.:help:

·
Registered
128 Posts
In 8 days he's been switched how many times?
I'm thinking you need to put him on something and stick with it for a week. you can give some Imodium AD for 3 days and it will help settle him own.

But dang, he's been switched so many times in just a week.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible you're over feeding since trying to put weight on? Other than that all I can think of is some type of food allergy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I thought that..I wasn't trying to put weight on. I mean he can stand to gain some, but that wasn't my intent. I was surprised that he did gain some even with the loose poop. He is eating the recommended amount and he loves food, but I'm guessing that coming from the shelter, he probably ate a lot less? I know a less quality food. Maybe his body is still adjusting? He was in the shelter for over 2 months. He drinks plenty of water, plays and is happy..its just that poop. I want that to be completely normal before he goes to classes.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
I would check for giardia and coccidia.
Also, you may want to go chicken free.
Oh, and a probiotic might help.
This one helped us tremendously:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S1U7RU/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In 8 days he's been switched how many times?
I'm thinking you need to put him on something and stick with it for a week. you can give some Imodium AD for 3 days and it will help settle him own.

But dang, he's been switched so many times in just a week.
He has always had the same food in the 8 days. I just fasted him from food with the chicken/rice, then I added the rice water to his food. Same with the yogurt and pumpkin..it was just added per the request of the vet. But its always been the same food that I started him with. And its a good food, one that I think he can do well with once everything settles. I have never given a dog Imodium AD.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would check for giardia and coccidia.
That is what the fecal was for. I am going to run a fecal tomorrow to my regular vet just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
I just put the dogs on this food:( With giardia and coccidia, do they have to go all the time? He doesn't have accidents in the house and he can hold it for a long time. I was so happy with the one semi firm poop...it was so short lived:(
Yeah, they would go a lot.
So it is more than likely a digestive issue.
I would add the probiotic and see if it helps. Have you tried enzymes?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm afraid to try anything else. Everytime we go outside I'm staring at his butt saying a prayer with one eye closed holding my breath:crazy: How many of those pills you recommended do they get a day? daily or as needed?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is not going all the time. He can hold it with no problems 6-8 hours, so I'm going to guess its not that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hmm, have you tried slippery elm bark or marshmallow root? They're both extracts that help with diarrhea/loose stool. There's a store called Natural Pet Market in Wheaton at Danada that has a bunch of supplements and holistic remedies. It's worth a shot. Hope this clears up soon - I know how worrying it can be!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'm afraid to try anything else. Everytime we go outside I'm staring at his butt saying a prayer with one eye closed holding my breath:crazy: How many of those pills you recommended do they get a day? daily or as needed?
we were going through the same thing. We ended up putting pro enzymes on his food and he much better. No more runny poo.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, have you tried slippery elm bark or marshmallow root? They're both extracts that help with diarrhea/loose stool. There's a store called Natural Pet Market in Wheaton at Danada that has a bunch of supplements and holistic remedies. It's worth a shot. Hope this clears up soon - I know how worrying it can be!

I do have some slippery elm...maybe try that? I'm going to possibly fast him for 24 hours with no food and start feeding him half the recommended amount. I have a feeling that his stomach can't handle what it should. I'll have to check that store out, I can go there on my way home from work. Just so you know there is a place in Downers Grove that is something like that, that is where I got the slippery elm..its called Happy Dog Barkery. They are a great group of people. I get the dog food and homemade treats from them.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we were going through the same thing. We ended up putting pro enzymes on his food and he much better. No more runny poo.
What do you use?

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Yes Slippery Elm
NO yogurt - may not be able to digest, and no real benefit re: probiotics in yogurt
No raw chicken thigh - too high in fat (could have lipase deficiency - need enzymes), use skinless breast - bone in

NO Immodium - can be toxic if MDR-1 mutant dog

Enzymes will help breakdown the food so it is better assimilated whenever there is GI distress

consider an enzyme product that contains L-Glutamine (B-Naturals)

Berte's Digestion Blend (1 lb.) Berte's Digestion Blend - bacterial pancreatic IBD and GI supplement [04016] - $40.95

This also has probiotics in it

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just so you know there is a place in Downers Grove that is something like that, that is where I got the slippery elm..its called Happy Dog Barkery. They are a great group of people. I get the dog food and homemade treats from them.
Ahh, I didn't know there was one in Downers. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts