German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we usually have beamer on the bed with us, watching tv before bed for a while, sometimes we put her in her crate next to the bed, sometimes we dont. but lately she has been acting strange when we turn off the light & get ready to pass out.

the last couple nights its like shes SUPER HYPER right before bed, like more hyper then normal. & its not like we arent wearing her out, we were outside today playing for a good 3 hours & she has been exhausted, but as soon as i turned out the light she pounced on me & was like trying to rough house. she also acts kind of mouthy, kind of putting her mouth on my hand which she hasnt done since she was like 4 months old.

does anyone know why shes doing this?

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I am not sure if this is what she is doing, but I know sometimes our male will get like a child would before going to bed. Like they are fighting the sleep..he will jump up and get his toy and squeak it obnoxiously or try to start playing with our other dog who is trying to sleep. Kinda like he is a cranky baby, doesnt know what to do with himself and trying to get attention!! He just cant go to bed untill he knows the action is over for the night

But that is why he still sleeps in his crate at night! He is 18 months old, but I have no doubt he would be pouncing on us and causing a rukus. As soon as he gets in his crate he lays down and goes right to sleep.

So my advice is, put her in her crate! I think you mentioned that you somtimes did. Maybe her schedule gets off cause she is sometimes sleeping in the crate and sometimes not. Then you will all sleep better and when she can handle it she can then sleep outside of it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I know our Allie gets the same way sometimes before bed. My husband just tells her "bed, bed Allie ",and she goes in her crate or in her bedroom. I really think she is tired and just fights the sleep. As for the mouthing, Allie does this as well. I just give her a bone, instead of our hand and she chews till she passes out. Like a pacifier.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
the last couple of nights our boy has done the same thing. i took as he wants attention. so i would pet him a little extra. as soon as i stopped petting him he would start again. actually gave him a time out, i put him him in his crate. that didn't really work. so istarted pushing him away and saying "no, stop it". once i raised my voice and said "lay down" he calmed down. who knows maybe they know it's bed time and they're not ready to go to bed. it's annoying but i find it cute. now that i think of it my dog probably didn't stop because i laughing a little while he was acting like that. he was going from me to the GF and she thinks everything he does is cute. when he would piddle on the floor she would say to me "oh look, Loki just went on the floor", i'm thinking this isn't a Kodiac moment. at the moment he's playing with his ball. i think it's time to go to the dog park.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts