German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I have a vet appointment scheduled for her today, but I am still wanting to go in with a better understanding of what could be going on, because this isn't my regular vet ( who's on vacation) this is her colleague, and he tries to push all kinda of products, foods and extra stuff that I know she doesn't need sometimes. Anyways, long story short my 12 week old GSD puppy girl had diarrhea at the beginning of the week for about 3 or 4 days, so I took her to the vet Wednesday, worried it might be Parvo (I live in an area with a strong history of it) coccidia, giardia ( we live on a farm) or a number of other things. So got tests done, no parvo. waiting to hear back on whether it could be coccidia or Giardia. They sent me home with some Panacur (sp?) wormer,and some diagel for her loose stool. I gave her the diagel Wednesday, waited to start the wormer till yesterday morning. She's on Probios and has been since the diarrhea started. I had started feeding her boiled chicken and rice, because I was under the suspicion that the puppy food ( blue buffalo LG breed puppy) was too rich for her, so I stopped feeding it, and am giving her a bland diet right now, and low and behold her stool is nice and firm, regular color. YAY that problem solved. But new problem starts last night, she started needing to pee like every 5 minutes, licked herself a few times, so I am worried she may have a UTI. Not to mention she now looks very skinny. She is hydrated, and has access to clean fresh water all the time. I don't know what could be going on! And the guy who is filling in for my vet just LOVES to try and push veterinary diet foods, excessive tests, and generally makes me worry even more about my girl. Pretty much in tears here.:help:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My female pup had a case of puppy vaginitis when she came home which apparently is not too uncommon. She did some licking and tried peeing often to relieve the itching so it could be that rather than uti. She also had giardia at the same time. They some time will get hit with double and triple whammies at that age. If she doesn't continue to do well on the chicken you might try cooked ground beef since some dogs don't tolerate chicken well- my male for instance. Offer her some Gatorade as well as the water, mine sucked it down while being treated then stopped when it wasn't needed anymore. Sounds like your girl is going the right direction with the treatments- we've all gone through the multiple health problems all at once with our new little ones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She loves her chicken, and she's doing really well on it it seems, I do have some ground beef i was going to brown and drain the fat for her with some boiled rice as a small change in proteins. She's running around, jumping, biting and being her normal happy active self. I am concerned about Giardia but from what I was reading the Panacur wormer treats that as well, but still waiting to hear back from the fill in vet on the fecal results. I just feel terrible! She looks so thin! I think she is also going through another growth spurt as well, and the vet tech who has been seeing her since we brought her home said she looked lean, but it looked more from going through a growth spurt. Maybe its all just hitting at once? Growth spurt, diarrhea, having to change her food, possible Giardia/uti/ or vaginitis and thats why she lost a little weight. I am keeping her calm, and kind of on reduced activity right now.

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
I just read this on another forum, maybe worth checking into with your pups issues,
this thread was about vaccinations and how we as owners need to do our own research to be proactive:
A case in point about a vet that I used for a year or so. My 4 mos old male was having terrible stool issues for months. Basically since the day I got him at 8 weeks. I tried all kinds of foods, etc and nothing worked. We ruled out all of the giardias, coccidias, etc. I did some research and then asked them to run tests for me. They did not really want to but finally conceded. I wanted TLI, B-12 and folate tests run. They said that it was pointless to run this on such a young dog. I disagreed and insisted. I fasted him and we ran the tests. Boy am I glad I did. The tests came back showing low folate which meant Small Intestine disease. I immediately switched him to a grain free food and his issues went away. Had I not insisted on that, we would have continued on for who knows how long.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I have been doing A LOT of research into it, yesterday pretty much all the way through this morning. within probably 12 hours of taking her off blue buffalo and putting her on boiled chicken and rice her stool when back to normal, so I know it was her food. I am thinking I should get a urine sample from my girl and take it into the vet and have it tested for UTI, and also have her glucose tested just in case. Of course all this could be the result of the fact I live on a farm with fish ponds, poopy water puddles, and a large amount of not so good things she could eat ( thats why she's on a leash when she's outside)
Oh the joys of puppy hood!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.