German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD's just over a year old and I'm pretty happy with his behavior, not that that means I'll stop working with him. My mom, on the other hand, maintains that he's "pushy and assertive" and I don't know how to work with him on that.

She and my sister have both said that he will jump up in front of them (not ON them, just in front) and sometimes nip, though not hard. One thing I have noticed personally is he "herds" us by circling whichever person's legs and kind of bumping him/her forward.

The problem for me is that he doesn't do these things to me. When we're playing, sometimes he will jump/nip, but then I stop paying attention to him for a while and we're fine. He doesn't "herd" me very often. I don't know if this is some kind of hierarchy thing or what's going on. Any suggestions? :help:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
If you have a trainer in your area, it may be better to inquire about a family class, so that your dog learns to obey your mother and your sister and they feel more confident around him. There are also things you can work on at home. You could work on the sit/stay command with your dog and have your mother and sister do it in turns. Your dog would sit then get a reward. Also for the herding behavior, again, you could do the sit/stay and also the down/stay so that your dog learns that he cannot herd you and your mother and sister.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
they have to spend time with him and train him also if they want that kind of respect. My dog only listens to me and no one else also. To family she wont ever nip but she will stand in the way sometimes and get too excited. To her they are just friends and I guess i am her parent lol (master sounds kinda nasty to me) She sees everyone else on the same level as her.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they have to spend time with him and train him also if they want that kind of respect. My dog only listens to me and no one else also. To family she wont ever nip but she will stand in the way sometimes and get too excited. To her they are just friends and I guess i am her parent lol (master sounds kinda nasty to me) She sees everyone else on the same level as her.
I was kind of wondering if that might be it with him, too. He's completely my dog, meaning I've done all the training and most of the care. Unfortunately, I don't know that they'll be willing to work on training at all. :crazy: Neither one of them are dog people. They like him, just not as much as the cats.

But I will try to talk them into it, so thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Though I also discovered today that his ear is bugging him, so he may have an infection that's making him a little more bratty. Guess I'll see on that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have an almost 6 mo old and he is really challenging my 4 yr old son. I gave the leash and the treats to my son and all has greatly improved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts