German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was contacted by a person who had kept my contact info from last year after I posted an add for old freezer meat in the CL sporting section. Scored 20 lbs of "old" but very fresh looking frozen muscle meat and liver from elk, beef and lamb. I found that people are happy when this is put to good use when they need more space in their freezers for fresh meat. Hunting season is a great time to put out an ad out on local forums and the CL sporting section. I love scavenging for raw food for the dogs. Just be careful with harvested by hunting fowl as it tends to contain shot.

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,303 Posts
I scored 6 llama like this one year 😂

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,303 Posts
This actually made me laugh out loud.
We refer to it as Llama Fest, 2016. They were delivered live. It was a full day, and full freezer, to say the least.

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,303 Posts
For real? How big is your freezer? Did you kill/butcher them yourself. Which bones do you feed them?
Yes, for real. They were spitters, kickers and biters from a petting zoo. All older animals.

At the time, I had 2 commercial upright freezers and 3 chest freezers. I was feeding 4 dogs, all over 60 pounds, mainly game, so I needed lots of room for deer season.

Yes, I slaughtered them humanely and processed them with the help of my son and a family friend. I have a lot of butcher experience. The toughest part was skinning them. We ended up using the tennis ball trick.

I fed all the bones except heads and femur bones. I have a friend who manages a large pig farm and I disposed of the unwanted stuff in their pit.

I made a grinder out of a large commercial fan motor and an old number 22, with 2 sets of step down pulleys it was kind of a beast. I ground up most of the meat, organs and bones, weighing out batches at 80/10/5/5 prey model. Then I bagged it up in 2 pound packages and froze it. I think it ended up right around 800 pounds of food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts