German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok up until last week i was having house training nightmares, i was just doing everything wrong. After some reading and advice i got myself a crate and began taking my GSD out first thing in the morning, right before bed and every 3-4 hours in between.

She goes right away and does her business (been about 5-6days now) and i always use the "Go Pee" command and then alot of praise But she wont ask to go out to potty. Lets say i'm an hour or two late she will just go in the house instead of waiting.

Am i expecting too much from about a week only of housebreaking her? will she ever understand and ask to go potty?..

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
They don't "ask" to go potty that soon into it. You just have to constantly take them out, and watch for signs that they need to go. My older dogs will ask to go out by coming to get me, then running for the door, and back and forth if they really need to go. Otherwise they hold it till they are let out or if I ask "do you need to go out/potty" and they will get excited, run to the door, jump around in a circle, etc.

Dante, the puppy, has been housetrained for some time now if taken out regularly, but is only just now starting to "ask" to go potty by pacing and walking around, then going to the door. He doesn't really ask yet, I have to watch for the signs he needs to "go."

·
Registered
129 Posts
Our dogs are now older, and they do ask by coming to us -- a paw on the leg, or a certain look on their face and we know, or our female will whine.

When our female was young, she didn't know how to ask -- we taught her to ring bells that were on the door. Just a string of sleigh bells, you can get them this time of year very inexpensive. She learned in a couple of days -- the only thing with this is it initially isn't "go potty" but "go outside" even if to play so you have to be tolerant of that at first.

After a few months, bells weren't necessary and she did develop her own signal. She is picking up on it, but a week is a very short time, it will take a little longer.

How old is she? An extra hour or two may be just too long for her to hold it, depending on her age, but she will be able to eventually.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
They don't "ask" to go potty that soon into it. You just have to constantly take them out, and watch for signs that they need to go. My older dogs will ask to go out by coming to get me, then running for the door, and back and forth if they really need to go. Otherwise they hold it till they are let out or if I ask "do you need to go out/potty" and they will get excited, run to the door, jump around in a circle, etc.

Dante, the puppy, has been housetrained for some time now if taken out regularly, but is only just now starting to "ask" to go potty by pacing and walking around, then going to the door. He doesn't really ask yet, I have to watch for the signs he needs to "go."
I agree :)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I agree the bells on the door do work, and like said sometimes its just to go outside and explore! :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Karma was about 3 months or so when she started nosing my face lightly or my toe if it was exposed to tell me she needed to pee. Now she sleeps outside but if we go away and she sleeps in a bungalow with us overnight, that's her " i need to pee " cue. Kinda cute....

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Zoe ran and then jumped on me full force in the mornings to get me out of bed....not a fun awakening:( Now she just nudged me or whines, and if we are downstairs she sits patiently at the door, but not as a pup- thats still your job:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bella finally figured it out when she was almost 4 months old, She still has accidents but shes at about 95%, knows to go to the door and sit there, and if we ignore her too long she will scratch the door. :) Takes lots of time, and they will fail but its mostly because of us, the humans. LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts