German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about switching foods for one of my dogs. I have found that the ash content can vary from a low of about 5 percent to a high of 12 percent. Some people think that high ash is not good for an adult dog. I am looking for thoughts on what people think is an acceptable ash percentage for adult dogs.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
To be honest I have never considered it. I did think that had to do with cats' food - though I could be wrong.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read that too much ash can be hard on the kidneys of dogs. Has anyone seen any studies on this?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ash? In their food? As in burnt something? Ash = carbon.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Yes, ash. It is the inorganic content in the food. Some dog food manufacturers list the amount on their websites, others will provide the amount if you ask them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It amazes me that people are worried about things like corn and beet pulp but have no reservation pumping 12% ash into a dog. Ash is primarily minerals in the food like calcium, phosphorous, etc.

Besides being pure filler, the only filler in fact, high ash can be extremely damaging to some dogs. Dogs only require about 2% mineral content, so anything above that is a complete waste, no upside and all downside. High phosphorous can permanently damage kidneys, even healthy kidneys, high calcium binds with zinc causing skin problems and high ash from bone is loaded with flouride. High ash tells you the source of protein is low quality.

The big offenders are Earthborn, Nature's Variety, Nature's Logic and Evo but there are many more. Keep in mind one very important thing, your dog probably won't show any signs of kidney damage until 80% of function is lost.

So in answer to your question 7.5% and below is what experts looks for.

Companies that care enough to make low ash foods are: Annamaet, Dr. Tim's, Eukanuba, Pro Plan, Bil Jac (5%) and Fromm.

Here is a very good example of how some companie use good quality protein and how one doesn't:

Earthborn Primitive - 38% protein, 12.0% Ash
Dr. Tim's Momentum - 35% protein, 6.5% Ash
Annamaet Ultra - 32% protein, 6.8% Ash

Pretty easy to see that Earthborn uses junk. I mentioned in another place a highly respected Phd uses Bil-Jac because the ash is 5%, and that is excellent for a 27% protein food with 90% of protein from animal sources.
Thanks. This is very helpful and confirmed what I had read elsewhere. I was thinking about Evo, Earthborn and Nature's Variety, but the high ash content concerned me. Dr. Tim's and Annamaet are not available in stores in my area. I will continue looking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts