German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How common is the use of AI ?

My female is in heat but the male and her couldnt seem to make a connection , so we took them both to the vet for an AI.

This is her first breeding and the owner of the male talks like its not really uncommon for many pairings to have trouble making the connection . :wild::wild::wild: ........... I always thought they could always "get r done "

LOL .............. so has anyone else had the need to do AI instead of natural breeding .:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I dont know if I would say it's really uncommon for a natural breeding to occur. I know there are breeders who do AI's because a natural breeding couldn't occur, i.e they had frozen or chilled semen shipped to them. I don't think that AI is uncommon either.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We do AI's with our older males that just don't have the stamina to get r done. But the only thing we would do other than just the AI is to do progesterone test done so we are not wasting money and getting the correct timing so that an AI is successful and we have litters on the ground

·
Premium Member
11,292 Posts
I've done all LOL LOL LOL Fresh collected AIs, frozen and fresh chilled (surgically) - got pups from the both dogs on site and the fresh chilled....numbers jumped way too much on the frozen 18 to 40 in less than 48 hours - so no pups...should have done the surgery on that one on Sunday....and would have had a litter I am sure....

Lee

·
Registered
822 Posts
We did an AI on the first day of our girl being bred b/c she is very dominate and didn't want our male to mount her, but the 2nd day we finally made them tie. We did both in a 2 day period and she had 11 puppies. A lot of people do AI's, especially if the stud dog is out of state, etc. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
does any1 self AI's or know of a bank in california..I have a All Black Female and would like to breed her with an all Black Male

·
Premium Member
11,292 Posts
there are plenty of black dogs in CA - and tons of them in shelters on death row....CA is probably at this point one of the worst states in the country for anti breeding laws and dogs being surrendered and euthanized....

Lee

·
Registered
270 Posts
I used AI once, with a Champion bitch I had. She was bred while traveling with her handler at a show, and although she was not showing, HE was showing as a special. The only way the owner of the male would consider it was by AI.

We had 6 puppies from the litter, she was inseminated once.

·
Registered
31,982 Posts
I have used an AI with Heidi. Two heat cycles at the vet with progesterone and the whole nine yards. One with a breeder who had done them before. No puppies. Heidi is small. We tried natural and she is a sweetie but the boy just could not penetrate. So the breeder came back with a glove and checked her out. Small. I took her to the vet to see if she was open, she was, but very small. She just turned five. I doubt I will try again with her. I wanted a pup out of her too, just not happening, not with a shepherd. If some rangey mangey border collie mix were to connect with her, she would definitely throw fourteen puppies.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
there miht be at shelters and all but in especially looking for a ckc male all black german shepherd
I happen to have one those many black GSDs from a shelter in CA. There are indeed MANY black GSDs here in CA, and many won't get because of that.Why do you feel the need to breed you dog?

·
Registered
9 Posts
well the thing that happend with this breeder was that he was originally with akc but i guess he broke some some minor rules and know he uses ckc to keep track of bloodline

·
Registered
9 Posts
nd yea theirs alot of dogs in the shelter nd all but i mean im looking for a good shepherd to breed my female"with papers"...u should see how many people have asked me if im going to breed her...shes smart,active,always on top of things, and pretty much she is going to contribute to the breed

·
Registered
9 Posts
also u got to be a member to register the litter so not all dogs nd litters are registered /....the only free part of this is the papers for the pups....

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
nd yea theirs alot of dogs in the shelter nd all but i mean im looking for a good shepherd to breed my female"with papers"...u should see how many people have asked me if im going to breed her...shes smart,active,always on top of things, and pretty much she is going to contribute to the breed
I still no need to breed your girl. Papers(especially CKC) mean nothing. All they prove is that your dog is a purebred.

Many people have asked if I am going to breed my dogs. I don't breed them. 1 is from a shelter and the other is from a BYB/oops litter. Both have their faults. I love them to pieces, but that is NOT a reason to breed.

My dogs are smart, active, and on top of things too. But that is still not a reason to breed. Whats her pedigree(thats for those who know pedigrees), does she have her hips & elbows x-rayed? What has she done to show she is breed worthy, such as actual work?Any titles? Any sort of proof that shows she is breeding material? What are your goals? Also color should be the LAST thing you should be breeding for. Temperament, health should come FIRST.

Educate yourself on breeding, there are MANY threads on this board that can help you with that.Go out there and show that your dog is worth be bred.

There is so much more to breeding than just having a pretty dog and putting her with another pretty dog.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts