German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we were at vet yesterday.
not only Odi has HD(as if it would not be enough),but also cruciate ligament is torn in her right knee.

so that slight limp has turned into major problem.

invasive surgery itself is slightly less expensive,but vet said would go through really long and painful recovery period.

so right now i am inclined towards arthroscopy.

any advice/experience?

thank you in advance!:)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I can't offer any advice. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry to hear about Odi's diagnosis.
She's always been one of my favorites. Good luck with her procedure whatever way you go!

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
My experience with the ACL is to have the surgery. We did conservative management and she retore it within a year. My doctor explained it to me as the ACL is like a rope so when the outer "threads" tear it "unravels"

A traditional repair is not usually successful with large dogs. Is that what you mean by an arthroscopy?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My experience with the ACL is to have the surgery. We did conservative management and she retore it within a year. My doctor explained it to me as the ACL is like a rope so when the outer "threads" tear it "unravels"

A traditional repair is not usually successful with large dogs. Is that what you mean by an arthroscopy?
if i understood correctly what doc said,they are going to replace it with an implant.

arthroscopy is just less invasive and less damaging type of surgery,using endoscope and other special equipment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthroscopy

·
Registered
31,797 Posts
I think what they are talking about is a traditional repair. They'll take a tendon sheath and sew it around the acl. Ask him what the long term rate of success is for this type of repair. Are you really saving money and recovery time for him?

The acl repair Jax had done is not your typical TPLO or TTA. There are only a couple ortho's in the country that do it this way. Cost me the same but the doc does many of the sport dogs in my area.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think what they are talking about is a traditional repair. They'll take a tendon sheath and sew it around the acl. Ask him what the long term rate of success is for this type of repair. Are you really saving money and recovery time for him?
The acl repair Jax had done is not your typical TPLO or TTA. There are only a couple ortho's in the country that do it this way. Cost me the same but the doc does many of the sport dogs in my area.
doc said that

in case of open surgery,recovery may take more than a year,but in case of arthroscopy - 1.5 months.

and

success rate is high for all breeds,except for boxers.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
As far as I, and the veterinarian I am sitting next to, know they do not do TPLOs with an arthroscope. I also work with board certified surgeons and don't believe I have EVER seen them do a torn tendon or ligament repair with scope. They scope joints all the time, looking for disease and what not. But I believe for actual surgery they open them up. Arthroscopy IS commonly used in the stifle to repair a torn meniscus. But not for a cruciate ligament repair. As far as I know. I will ask my board certified orthopedic surgeons. My clinic does probably 6 or so a week. I also could not find any information online verifying ligament repair with a scope

TPLOs are hit or miss as it is. I wouldn't say the usually take over a year to heal. Usually lame for a couple months and then do fine. If it IS taking a year to heal I suspect something else is going on, such as the surgery did not take or some other complication. Sometimes they dont take on dogs. Don't think it has anything to do with size, more angulation of the stifle. Instead of surgery you can attempt pain management, laser therapy has been succesful.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Must admit I was a bit confused as I can't see how they could repair it with an arthroscope.
We used to do lots of arthroscopy procedures on horse joints for OCD lesions etc but never seen one done for cruciate repair.
It doesn't take over a year for it to come good.....like Anubis star said couple months and if they are done correctly they usually go really well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My lab/heeler x had surgery for this 2-1/2 years ago. Her healthy weight is ~62 lbs but she has been ~75lbs for several years. Her surgery was at 8 yrs old and she is now 10-1/2. We were told by our vet that the implant (TPLO? I've forgotten now) was the only solution but at $4, 000, knowing we had a good chance of needing to do the other leg at some point, we opted to switch vets to one that would do the "old style" (something like fishing line?). I apologize for forgetting the terminology. We were good friends with another vet in his practice so we felt good about his expertise. If our dog had been young, we may have gone the more expensive route but from our perspective, the repair fidnt have to last as long. She has done just fine with it in spite of our unsuccessful continuing weight loss battle with her. She could NOT have gone without surgery. All other vets refused to do the old style on a bigger dog but depending on the age of your dog, you might consider it. Less than half the cost and while rehab was tough, it went as planned. She also has arthritis in the hip on her same side so that is what bothers her most.

In any event, I'm glad we did it as most days she is fairly active for her age and weight and has a good quality of life. Btw, she was completely non-weight bearing and also had her meniscus removed during the surgery.

Good luck :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
307 Posts
What I mean by tough rehab was more that our dog does NOT do confinement well. She had always been a farm dog ( turned couch potato now lol). We were extremely conservative and spent 3 months slowly transitioning from crate confinement/careful hand walking to supervised off-leash. Our dog not being as active as her younger days certainly played a part as well, but as we increased confinement space, we had several successful escapes and she still did well.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for your replies and useful info!:)

i did not know that arthroscopy is uncommon method in case of torn cruciate ligament.

anyway procedure cost difference is insgnificant,and if they can do that repair job causing less damage to my dog during process - why not.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

my dog had a suspected tear, from what I was told the only real way to see is to cut them open and look. I opted for conservative care. Took a long time, almost 2 months of nothing but crate and leash to go to the bathroom and crate, then eased back into proprioceptive and strengthening exercises. That was 2 years ago and she's as good as ever.

was it torn? I believe so, so did 2 other vets.

on the other hand, surgery more often than not results in another surgery, just on the other leg. So which do you choose?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I mean by tough rehab was more that our dog does NOT do confinement well. She had always been a farm dog ( turned couch potato now lol). We were extremely conservative and spent 3 months slowly transitioning from crate confinement/careful hand walking to supervised off-leash. Our dog not being as active as her younger days certainly played a part as well, but as we increased confinement space, we had several successful escapes and she still did well.

oh yes,i have a farm dog too...
i cannot imagine,how i am going to confine her.
but i'll try.
usually she is free to go where ever and when ever she wants.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Praying Odi makes a full recovery. Thanks for the update

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Praying Odi makes a full recovery. Thanks for the update
thank you!

today we were at vet to remove stitches,actually doctor was a bit surprised about fact how well she's recovering.:)

she was limping just for first 4 or 5 days after surgery,now she would run around at full speed,if i would let her to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts