German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Nika is at 5 and 1/2 months and I am on the absolute edge of my patience with some of her behavior.

The problem: she pees everywhere and treats water like it might be gone tomorrow. She drinks and drinks until I have to yell at her to stop. I can't take up the water because the other dog needs it too.

Then there is the bigger issue of her urinating EVERYWHERE. She is very good about letting me know its time to go. Regardless though, when I put the leash on and I'm about to open the door to walk her outside, she pisses all over the floor. I think she knows its wrong because she lays her ears back when she is done.

Also, I come home from work every three to four hours to walk her. So a typical senerio is like this:
1-wake up, walk the dog
2-jump in the shower, put on uniform, walk the dog
3-come home 3 to 4 hours later, find the dog laying in a kennel full of urine, soaked to the bone with piss, walk and bathe dog
4-come home 3 to 4 hours later, dog has not urinated in kennel, but pees all over by the front door when I do walk her

This leads to another question:
How often can I bathe my GSD without messing up her skin? Because I am seriously at a rate of one bath a day. She seems to give no concern about urinating in her kennel and then rolling around in it on a daily basis.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Have you ever had her tested for a UTI?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I would most definitely do a vet check for a UTI. When Raina acts like that it has always been the problem.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I have to "vote" for the UTI check. She is displaying a lot of the symptoms of a UTI.
I'm not sure about the bathing. I remember bathing Gunnar a lot as a puppy and he has not had skin problems.
I'm sure there are shampoos out there that allow for heavy use.
At 5 1/2 months she should be able to go 3-4 hours without soiling her kennel.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've always found it to be fairly accurate. A dog should be able to hold urine for the number of months they are old, plus one.
6 month old dog, 7 hours.
Up to a year old.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Awww...poor little thing. And poor you! Something is not right:( I would call the vet and ask before you bring her in though.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, Neko is the same age and has no problems holding it for 3-4 hours when awake, and all night uncrated. She seems to go through times of drinking more water, but still no accidents unless I'm absolutely not paying attention. So I'd definitely have her checked for a UTI.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'll get in touch with the vet about checking for a UTI. Thanks for the idea.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Vet vet vet vet vet...

And I'd try to set up some FUN daily activities for the both of you. Sounds like the puppy thing is a bit heavy on the 'work' and light on the 'play'. Hiking, puppy classes, chuckit, socialization events......

·
Registered
89 Posts
my puppy is just now 5 months, she used to pee everywhere except her kennel. though i got super irritated because im home with her all day and i would take her outside every 2 hours and she would go potty and then as soon as my husband got home from work she would piss everywhere!!! i got so irritated because i had to clean it all and i just didnt get it, thankfully this is the first three days she hasnt peed in the house so maybe were on a roll.
as for the bathing. i recently started a thread asking if i could ruin her coat and some people said yes that i should only bathe her 5 or 6 times a year and others said a bath a month is good. i personally bathe my puppy once every two to three weeks. im sorry but were stationed in the desert and she gets dirty and smelly! lol good luck!

also, when she does go potty outside praise her even give her a treat let her know its a good thing. when she pees in the house i was told to ignore it. (yes i know its hard to do)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If this isn't a UTI thing, I am going to be totally baffled. She seems to do good for a couple of days and then gets ridiculous. I just now got the signal from her she needed to go out, put the leash on her, and she just squatted and peed. WHY!?!?!?! Hopefully this gets resolved soon. At her age, I'd love to have her out of the kennel to sleep over night (actually I sleep during the day). But she is still acting like a puppy.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Might be a kidney issue if she's really drinking that much water. Too much water is probably causing her to pee as much and often as she is.

Definitely have a vet check her out.

Oh and don't expect too much from a 5.5 month old. She's still a baby. Definitely keep her crated when you can't supervise until she can PROVE she can be trusted.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yes, get to the vet. Drinking that much water is not a good thing, could be a UTI, could be a kidney issue.
One thing about peeing at the door and things, if she is not able to hold her urine very well, then she is alot like a little kid. They play, eat drink, then play and realize" oh I gotta go pee" and then waits at the door and then just can't hold it anymore and pees. It could also be submissive peeing also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:
Never got a chance to schedule an appointment with the vet for Nika. And the problem seems to be resolving itself with just some retraining of both Nika and myself!

I am spending more time with her outside doing physical/learning activities, as well as waiting for her to pee twice everytime we go outside. Best I can figure it is that she is so excited to see me and go outside that she doesn't finish peeing. Once the initial period of distraction is gone, she ussually pees again and is good for hours after that.

Another sign she is "growing up" that I am seeing is that she is not only respecting her kennel space more by peeing in it less, but she is also going into the kennel without being told multiple times and she goes in it sometimes by herself to lay down. Another great development!

Now if she would just stop terrorizing the older doggy!

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's a good thing to hear! Though I'd still recommend to visit the vet, just to make sure she's allright.. better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I remember my old dog peed when she saw us, you could not get her to the door fast enough, what seemed to work was when we came home there was no excited chatter, we quietly when to the kennel got the dog then put her out, kept excitement down to a minimum,seemed to work when you show little intrest until they are outside! No we have a Stella issue, she will not pee on her walk, waits to get home then does her business in the garden, when do puppies scent when they walk??

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
That's a good thing to hear! Though I'd still recommend to visit the vet, just to make sure she's allright.. better safe then sorry.
Ditto. Drinking that much water is not normal, it could be a problem like diabetes insipidus or syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone. I lost my boy Logan to SIADH. The only symptoms were excessive drinking and urinating, until it caused his sodium level to drop so low that he had a seizure and subsequently spent a week in the ICU. He passed away 9 months later during a seizure.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Our show dogs get bathed once a week. My dogs with allergies the same. If you use a high quality shampoo and condition, it does not ruin the coat. When I have had a puppy getting soiled, the bathing was more often. There is no need to let a pup have urine on it and smell bad.

Get some newsprint paper. It is the packing paper for moving. You can get it at a movimg company pretty cheap. Put several layers in the bottom of the ...7 sheets or so. This keeps the pup from sloshing around in urine in there. Then you can easily gather up the papers and put them in a trash bag. It does help soak it all up.

At times I have had pups who were not real fast with the crate training thing. The more they go in there, the more they learn to. When theY got older, they got it though. I am glad to hear it is getting better with your pup. Sometimes it just takes some time and maturing than we like!

Again, glad to hear it is improving.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I still vote for the vet check. I had a pup with kidney issues but he showed no signs. The only way I found out is when he got his blood test right before he was supposed to get neutered. You will feel better ruling out any medical issues and hopefully it is just a matter of her growing up.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Yes, vet check always the first on my list when there is something going on like this. Not uncommon for female pups to get UTIs. That would not be a good thing to have go on chronically. I have had pups who drank a lot, but excessive thirst is also a symptom of a medical problem sometimes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am with the posters who urge you to take the puppy to the vet. I have had a dog and a cat with diabetes and heavy drinking of water and excessive urination were the main symptoms prior to diagnosis. Although some GSD may take a while to housebreak that should not cause the heavy water drinking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts