German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has not ate in two days. He is very calm, but playful at times.

His nose is warm and dry. He threw up yellow gunk last night. All day yesterday he slept in my room with me from about 11pm to 6pm.. (I was sick).

He has a vet appointment tomorrow promptly at 8:30am but I'd like some ideas so I don't get stuck with some off the wall stuff I don't need to be charged for.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Did you try to feed him cooked chicken and boiled rice? Is he pooping? Bring in a fecal sample.
I wouldn't worry about getting stuck with charges if your baby is sick, trust your vet.
Just don't let them give him any vaccinations...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
sorry to hear that Arlo is sick. :( I agree...try giving him some chicken and rice and see how he does with that. Good to hear that you will be taking him to the vet in the morning. Good luck and let us know how the vet visit went.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He won't eat anything. I put a raw egg on his kibble that he loves. He gets a raw egg a few times a week.

Gave him a piece of chicken from dinner. No go. Also gave him orange chicken. Peanut butter on his bone, nothing. He does drink a little.

No poop, but I will try to get some.

·
Registered
105 Posts
He won't eat anything. I put a raw egg on his kibble that he loves. He gets a raw egg a few times a week.

Gave him a piece of chicken from dinner. No go. Also gave him orange chicken. Peanut butter on his bone, nothing. He does drink a little.

No poop, but I will try to get some.
sorry to hear about your boy, hope he has a speedy recovery! and definetly dont worry about the vet bills, these dogs are too precious, they are worth every penny and more to keep them healthy! as a personal suggestion: dont give him any people food in the future because there is always that danger, stick to kibble with chicken or meat but clean of any sauces! good luck

·
Registered
572 Posts
I agree. They will need to x-ray him for obstructions. It sounds like when other dogs have swallowed stuff. Also, try to remember everything in the trash cans that he might have gotten into. Are there poisons in hidden places (under furniture) or pills missing anywhere in the house? If children have played with him, give them a questioning if they did or saw anything unusual with the dog. And I hate to ask this, but is there even a remote possibility someone threw something over the fence into your yard which was laced with something? Are there unusual wrappers in the back yard? Has anyone visited who has a radiator leak, and if so is there a possibility Arlo licked some antifreeze off the concrete? I hope the vets get to the bottom of the problem.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have no advice as you have received some really good advice. But...I am sending good thoughts hoping that he maybe has doggie flu. It is so hard when our fur babies are sick, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Sending good thoughts for Arlo, and that he is up and about soon! :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our home is fairly puppy proof. No toys missing. I like to keep ten at all times incase one comes missing. Then I know to look..

He started throwing up this morning. Lots of green goo. His poop was just dirty water. Couldn't get any sample for vet as it soaked into the dirt. He also threw up a few times on our 20min car ride to the vet

We are sitting in the waiting room right now. I'll keep updates through our visit..

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I hope Arlo is better soon, and that it's nothing serious. Poor guy.

·
Registered
596 Posts
My max had a spell of throwing up green and white liquid. The best way for me to explain it is nasty... but resembled fettucine alfredo at best. His poop also was what you described as dirty water. i could watch across from the porch across the yard and .... sorry for the explanation trying to help... it was as if someone turned on a rusty water spicket for the first time in years. I took him to the vet, but the night before started feeding him JUST rice. for a good 5 days, and slowly introduced his kibble back. But they did a stool sample test... came up with NOTHING. But said it could be a number of bacteria that the tests could miss... so they gave me some medicine for giardia among other things in pill form... and 4 suringes (sp?) of a white type liquid i was to squirt in his mouth. also another form of medicine for bacteria. He ended up being fine, stools hardened up day by day. And its been about a month since then! :] I hope this helps in some way shape or form, and that it is something like my max had, and not a blockage, as my dog would still eat like normal and drink. Good thoughts your way<3 Keep us updated!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all.

Good to know mrswoodcock! That's exactly how he is!

Vet just did some tests.. Now just waiting. Arlo is laying on the floor shaking and just watching. So sad..

1 - 20 of 55 Posts