German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I really want Argos to be ok with this head collar thing we have the "HOLT" brand one but he absolutely hates wearing it he will walk for about 2 steps then lay down on the ground and paw at it open his mouth and rub his whole body on the ground in attempt to get it off I have tried redirecting his attention with toys, giving him tons of praise when he walks nicely and giving him lots of treats he is ok for a little while but then he tries to get it off again. I have two different sizes one large and one medium the medium seems to fit a little to snug but the large seems a little too loose not sure which one is the best to use or should I just wait until he gets a little older.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It might be that he will never be okay with it. Is there a reason you are so set on it? Have you thought of using something else?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
How long have you been using it? When are you using it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
We use a gentle leader head collar, and our 7 month old pup does the same, but when her moment of trying to get it off her face has passed, she realizes that it's not so bad. We keep using it, and it works for us. Keeps me walking her and not her walking me!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Even though I fed mine tons of treats and stuff, she runs away from me when I try to put hers on, but after it's on her face she doesn't even mind that much. I think mine is just a drama queen. how long have you been using it?

Also, I use 2 leashes, one on regular collar, one on head collar. So, 90 percent of pressure IF there is pulling I put on the regular collar so that it doesn't irritate the face so much.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am set on it because we are in the process of training him to be a Autism Service Dog for our daughter he is just at the candidate stage right now but we would prefer the head collar as it is easier to handle him in public with it :)

It might be that he will never be okay with it. Is there a reason you are so set on it? Have you thought of using something else?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have only been using it for about a month or so because he is only 15 weeks old right now and we were advised to not walk him too much until he is a little older so have just been taking him on short trips across the street to the field and back.

The two leash thing is a good idea I will give that a try :)

Even though I fed mine tons of treats and stuff, she runs away from me when I try to put hers on, but after it's on her face she doesn't even mind that much. I think mine is just a drama queen. how long have you been using it?

Also, I use 2 leashes, one on regular collar, one on head collar. So, 90 percent of pressure IF there is pulling I put on the regular collar so that it doesn't irritate the face so much.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am set on it because we are in the process of training him to be a Autism Service Dog for our daughter he is just at the candidate stage right now but we would prefer the head collar as it is easier to handle him in public with it :)
That would be a very good reason to be set on it! I have no real advice since I have never used one. Hopefully with enough time and yummy treats he will learn!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts