German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How appropriate this happened soo soon after that thread by stone started.

I am beyond angry. At the other owner. At myself for not protecting my dog. :(

We were walking in a regular park. Dogs not allowed off leash. I was working on heel work under distraction. The path goes around a big pond. A woman came in with her kids and dog. They set up a picnic lunch. As we passed the other dog lunged to the end of its leash a few feet away. Mako looked at it but did not react. I told him leave it and we continued.

I should have left the park, or gone somewhere else. I ended up making another lap. This time the aggressive dog was off leash. I told mako to stay and did my best to body block the other dog. The dog kept whipping around my legs. Mako had his hackles up and was showing a lot of teeth. He didn't break his stay though.

The whole time this mutt was harassing my dog the owner was feeding her kid and just saying "Oh don't worry! He's friendly. He is just very vocal"

Friendly my butt.

I ended up yelling to her she better come get her dang (not the word I actually used) dog before i kicked it's teeth in.

The lady came over and scooped her dog up. Telling him he was being so bad. What ever.

I give mako his focused heel command. Trying to not make a big deal of the encounter and getting his mind back to a happy/positive place. We got maybe 30 feet away when mako breaks his heel and whips around snarling. I grabbed the traffic loop on his leash. He didnt make contact with the other dog. The other effing dog - still loose - is latched on my guy's butt. The owner didn't even attempt to restrain the dog. I did kick it at this point. The owner was running over. When she finally grabbed it and pulled it off. It turned and bit her.

The dogs seperated. I walked mine a bit away. I looked him over. He had some puncture wounds and blood. I took a pic. I tethered him to a picnic table and put him in a down stay.

The lady and the family were packing up. I tried to talk to her. She said her dog has never done anything like that before. Then that my dog must have set something off in him. He must have been sensing aggression or something. I asked for her contact info and if I could see her dog's rabies tag. And she said no. Mako broke his down stay and was at the end of his leash screaming like a banshee. That's not like him. Maybe he was uncomfortable with me being near that aggressive dog? Or he sensed the tension between the other owner and myself? Anyways She left and I ran back and got mako. I started following her. I didn't say anything. She turned around and threatened to call the cops if I didn't. I yelled back to her "ok, that's fine".

I got a pic of her license plate as she drove off. The reason for my following in the first place.

Made report to animal control. Took mako to the vet.

God. It was such a good day too. I was really proud and excited because he was doing SO GOOD with his heel work. Then I messed up. I let him break 2 commands and did not correct him for it. I didn't protect him from the beast. I let my boy get hurt. I did make him do a few commands and praised the heck out of him before we got into our car - trying to end the session on a positive note.

Not good.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
Will AC get her address from the police with the license? did you photograph the dog itself?

you cannot fault your dog for making a decision based on his own safety when the dog bit him.

I hope he is alright and the irresponsible lady is cited and has to pay your vet bills.

Lee

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope that is what they will do. Find the lady via her license plate.

It must be a busy day for AC. I only spoke with them on the phone thus far. They usually send someone out to talk to you in person.

I did not get a pic of the other dog. Tucking that thought away if God forbid something like this ever happens again

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
You were appropriate for the situation. Dont worry about commands for your dog. It was one incident.And a very stressful one for your dog at that. Hope you are both fine.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Your dog did not bite or attack the other dog -- you prevented that, good. You cannot fault the dog when distractions turn into earthquakes.

What you need to do now, is let your dog heel and treat him as though nothing changed. You have to walk out with confidence, and act like other dogs aren't a big deal.

It takes some doing to recognize clueless owners and give them a wide berth. I generally socialize my dogs in dog classes -- this does not mean my dog runs up and sniffs the other's nose or butt. It means that the other dogs and owners my dogs are subjected to early on, are people who have their butts and dogs in dog classes -- three steps above your average pet owner already. There will be a leash on the dog at this level. And if someone does let their dog come right up to yours, you can say, firmly, to your dog, "EH, we're working!" and usually the other yayhoo will get it that your dog isn't there to get up close and personal with other dogs. A good trainer will generally lay down the law, sometimes prior in the paperwork, sometimes in the first class session. Dogs are not here to share communicable diseases, they are here to learn to work with you, around other dogs and people.

Once you have a situation like this, you have to put your brain in front of your heart, understand that dogs live mostly in the moment, and the quickest way to make it as though it never happened, is to not allow it to affect you when you are out with your dog.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and my boy is doing well. A bit drowsy still from the sedative and pain killers the vet gave. Probably a little tender and sore on that leg.

The puncture wounds weren't deep enough to require a drain. 2 sutures on an area where there was a little tear in the skin.

He went home with instructions to flush the wounds with saline, a topical antibiotic cream, a course of oral antibiotics, and a few days worth of pain killers. I'm not starting him on the oral antibiotics yet though. I want to wait till tomorrow, I plan to consult with my holistic vet first. The guy can have a bit of a sensitive stomach. Not sure if I want to risk killing off his gut flora.

·
Super Moderator
5,866 Posts
That was incredibly irresponsible of that owner!And then she claims it was your dog's fault!?Hope Mako is alright and the wounds aren't too painful.Don't be too hard on yourself,you reacted well and I'm glad you didn't get bit too.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Is your dog protected from rabies?

I mean the chances the dog did have it are really slim to none, but if your dog has had his shots, that shouldn't even be a concern.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Does that make this the new threadnaught?

Btw if it was me there's no way I have my dog in OB in that situation. Leave em free and ready to fight. Don't make them vulnerable in OB.

Also if the dog is coming at you and doesn't scare when you threaten with a stomp step or two at them and give them your best PSA scream just assume hostility and lead with the attack not a block. Kick from the get go and don't pull the punch.

Nothing punishes stupidity like beating the **** outta the dog in front of the idiot owner and nothing punishes the dog for something like that quite like an ass kicking.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is your dog protected from rabies?

I mean the chances the dog did have it are really slim to none, but if your dog has had his shots, that shouldn't even be a concern.
Yes. My boy is fully vaccinated.

I asked about seeing her dog's rabies tag to actually get the number off of it for animal control. I was sneaky in telling her i just wanted to make sure the dogs were both up to date. If I just happened to memorise the number... so be it. I'm actually pretty good with numeric memory.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I am so sorry this happened. People are idiots. I guess the standard lines must be "Don't worry my dog is friendly" followed by "Your dog must have done something to set him off" (as you extract her dog from Mako's but). and of course "He's never done that before".

I'm not sure how much blame you can put on Mako for breaking the heel when he had a dog attached to him by the teeth. I don't doubt he felt you were in danger when you approached the woman to try to get her information. Kudo's to you for following her and getting the plate #. I think you handled the situation very well.

I guess it's time for you to research your options. Hopefully AC will give her a citation. There may be a small claims court procedure that may sink some sense into this womans head. Another addition to my dog walking kit....camera..

I wonder what's best for Mako in the next couple of days. It seemed like from Bailiff's posts it might be good for him to have some positive dog experiences to help keep the thoughts away that all dogs are a bad news now.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does that make this the new threadnaught?

Btw if it was me there's no way I have my dog in OB in that situation. Leave em free and ready to fight. Don't make them vulnerable in OB.

Also if the dog is coming at you and doesn't scare when you threaten with a stomp step or two at them and give them your best PSA scream just assume hostility and lead with the attack not a block. Kick from the get go and don't pull the punch.

Nothing punishes stupidity like beating the **** outta the dog in front of the idiot owner and nothing punishes the dog for something like that quite like an ass kicking.
Thank you.

You are absolutely correct. I should not have given him those commands. While walking by I should have used the far more relaxed 'stay with me' and when I tethered him I shouldn't have put him in a down stay. Just let the physical restraint do its job.

If I had been more aggressive when I was body blocking. That probably would have gotten the owner to restrain precious and prevent that sneak attack.

Lesson learned. Thank you for teaching it :)

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
That was incredibly irresponsible of that owner!And then she claims it was your dog's fault!?Hope Mako is alright and the wounds aren't too painful.Don't be too hard on yourself,you reacted well and I'm glad you didn't get bit too.
Right. But let's remember that we cannot do anything about other people acting irresponsibly. Oh sure, call in AC and find the person, and hopefully make her pay the vet bills. But that doesn't prevent this from happening again with another yayhoo. And I think this thread can provide some advice in that way.

It's good to have a plan, ready and available in dealing with yayhoo owners, and loose dogs. Pick it apart in the security of your home, and hopefully when you are in the midst of it out there, some of it will come to you.

I'm not blaming the victim, but, I go beyond what I ought to be expected to do in prevention. Because really, I may have a perfect right to walk down this side street, but if I know there is a Rottweiler that has tried to EAT my dog down there, well, I am going to avoid it.

Hindsight is 20/20, but when you see someone with kids and a dog, and the dog already wants to eat yours, your best bet is to concede the area to them. That sucks. I understand it. I would wait until the small dog was leashed before turning my back on it, after a near miss. Dogs are slippery, and sometimes, they twist just right as you are trying to put that snap on and then the dog is loose. Already we know it is aggressive and probably not obedient.

If you have a phone, beat her to calling in park police or the municipal police/animal control. Not a bad idea if you can line up a witness or two -- did you see that, did you see what happened? Trust me, that if this hag won't exchange her information with you, then she probably will lie about whose dog did what. It is even possible that her dog has done this before and she knows how to avoid a lawsuit.

Lastly, you have to think long and hard on whether you are willing to make a federal case out of this. Your dog went to the vet, and that cost, what? 75$? 130$? You'll probably pay a good portion of that to see justice happen, and not get any more than that in return. Yes, she needs to have animal control come barking at her, specifically if her dog has had issues in the past that they are aware of. They may be able to fine her for having her dog off-lead, etc. Maybe not as it is your word against hers. Sometimes though, it is best to determine how far you are going to take it, and beyond that, let it go. Sometimes it is best to just let it go.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry to hear about this and hope your guy is okay!!! The only thing that I would have maybe done differently is to call the police and not let her leave so it is truly documented. Without witness etc...who knows the argument they could make unfortunately.. Also, your dog seemed to behave wonderfully! I know that if my boy was bitten in the AZZ by anything he would not be so kind haha What kind of dog was it??

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder what's best for Mako in the next couple of days. It seemed like from Bailiff's posts it might be good for him to have some positive dog experiences to help keep the thoughts away that all dogs are a bad news now.
I'm considering calling the trainer he does puppy agility with. She also does group obedience classes. Might be worth it that the next time he encounters "strange" dogs, for it to be in a controlled environment at a place he loves. We had some reactivity issues in the car after we were assaulted. We've mostly resolved that, but the precedence has been set that he gets edgy after bad stuff happens.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Hey I just want to chime in and say don't be too hard on yourself. You tried to protect your dog, nobody is perfect or superhuman, %×$ happens.

I was walking my 3 on leash back in FL, this was two gsds and a lab mix. A big male free roaming farm dog ran up to us. At first he was cool, so I tried to play it cool because I had my hands full w 3 dogs on leash. They all sniffed, we began to disengage and I saw it shift and had a split secone to think oh f*** he was going to go for one of my females. Ruger intercepted him, body checked him HARD on the shoulder and snapped his teeth in his face. They squared off for a second and then the loose male backed off. Never been so grateful to my boy. He knew exactly what to do, he told him if he messed with his bitches he wouod regret it but he didn't just latch on. Let me tell you, when Ruger meant business he was awesome to behold. In a nutshell, he bailed me out because I wasn't on my game that day and I just didn't handle it. Thank God Ruger did.

I probably would have called the cops on the spot myself, come on, she is breaking leash rules and then won't even let you see her dog's rabies info....doesn't apologize or offer to pay your vet bills!? Unbelievable. I hope you find away to hold them accountable, that is just unacceptable behavior.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
She got bit by her own dog. She could say she was bit by your dog.
Now you got a problem.
Like Selzer said. Best to let it go

I mention this b/c this is how I acquired G so many yrs ago.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry to hear about this and hope your guy is okay!!! The only thing that I would have maybe done differently is to call the police and not let her leave so it is truly documented. Without witness etc...who knows the argument they could make unfortunately.. Also, your dog seemed to behave wonderfully! I know that if my boy was bitten in the AZZ by anything he would not be so kind haha What kind of dog was it??
I did try to call in while she was still at the park. The non emergency police number transfered me to animal control where I got the if this is an emergency dial 911 otherwise leave a message and we'll get back to you. No one was in danger at that point. AC called me back while I was at the vet.

The dog was a fat, matted, doodle of somesort. About the size of a cocker spaniel. Maybe a schnoodle? It did the 'terrier bite' thing. Do schnauzers do that?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts