German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I took Stark to the park to play some ball. We have been doing most of our playing in the dark lately due to my schedule so I thought it would be a nice change to go out and enjoy the sun.. haha.

Before we got to the park though we met up with a couple of "our group" just outside on the green patch. We let the dogs off leash to play. They are all about 80lbs (Stark a little less), large, muscular, and wild. They haven't seen eachother in a few days and were all given the freedom to play, so they were. They are all under 2 years old, so it's the crazy puppy play.

All of a sudden out of nowhere a 8 week old female German Shepherd puppy runs into the mix! We all tell our dogs to stop playing and to come here, afraid that this little puppy will get trampled amoung our crazy boys playing. The boys listen to us (YAY STARK!) and this little pup follows Stark right over to me.

I pick her up and look at the tag, no name, no phone number, no address, it's blank!?

So I'm cooing to her and looking around for her owners. The two other owners help me look around and no one is to be seen!

Finally as we are about to bring this puppy inside the lobby this guy gets out of his car and comes over with a leash. He says, "Oh, where are you going, that's my dog". I tell him we were looking for her owners, and ask why he didn't come out when he saw us looking for him?

He then tells us he wanted his dog to be independent and to be able to play with other dogs so he let her go and play. He said that he knows our dogs are friendly and have great temperaments so he wasn't worried!

Okay, so because this is a Shepherd puppy I am a little more heated than I probably should be. I love the breed and HATE it when STUPID PEOPLE own and ruin it for the rest of us responsible, knowledgable owners!

I then try to explain to him that letting a 8 week old puppy play with large dogs who were obviously playing rough (not in a bad way) was not a good idea. I then tried to tell him that she should not be even going near strange dogs until she is fully vacinated. He ignores me. Let me remind you, I am still holding his puppy! He hasn't even left the side of his car yet!!!

So I walk over and give him his dog back and ask where he got his puppy hoping to find some common ground (obviously we love the breed, maybe I can make him see through this) and he tells me the kennel name (not one I would ever consider, they breed over standard, unhealth tested parents, untitled parents, non-certified parents such as hips and elbows, etc. and the list goes on). He then tells me his girl will reach about 140lbs!!! WHAT? Is it part Saint Bernard??? Seriously at this point I hand over the pup tell him to be careful and to have a nice day.

Ugh... people!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I would have kissed the pup on the head and told her that I am sorry she ended up with a moron for an owner.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Should have asked if she was microchipped. I am guessing she was not. Then, since her tag was blank, asked him to PROVE it was his pup.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should have, that would of been a good idea!

I know my neighbour said he saw him walking it the other day, so he was sure it was his, plus there are only 2 other Shepherds in the building; Stark and Naudia so I am sure it couldn't have been mistaken for someone elses.

I should have made him go through the trouble of proving it though!

Will remember that for next time!

I hate when people get dogs just to "have them" and not really research and do their homework. Ugh.. I grew up with GSD's, and still waited 4 years and did my research during that time before committing!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
You have had an interesting week! next time you see him give the web address for the board!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going too but to be honest, I don't think he would of cared.

He was more concerned that everyone knew his female puppy was going to be 140lbs more than anything else.. ugh.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Yep, bet you just wish he hadn't turned up at all!

Poor pup... why do some end up in homes like that?

Maybe you planted a seed of advice he'll heed in retrospect?

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is awful! That poor baby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts