German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is stemming off another post. Are your dogs inside dogs or outside or are they both? Mine are both inside dogs but get plenty of outside exercise. They are left alone at home by themselves for maybe 3 hours tops throughout each day. On Friday, Saturday, and Sundays it's less than that if any. On days that I'm in school the SO is here and usually before I get home he leaves for work. We are currently looking for a place with a backyard right now so they can play outside more.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have one dog who is primarily an inside pooch. Only time outside is for poop, pee and play and only if I'm there to watch her.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool Cool! My parents hate it when I bring my fur babies home because they can't stand any kind of dog smell. They were raised as dogs were outside creatures. I keep them clean but they can still smell dog.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Our dogs are inside/outside. They have a doggie door, so they have free access to inside and out. They spend a majority of their time inside. They only go outside to go potty or to play rough.

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
All my dogs are housepets. They are out for exercise and play, but want to be where the family is, whether that is in or out! I don't have outdoor kennels or runs(though we are thinking about putting in a run so we can get the yard back to grass!) I know the dogs need to run, and that means in the huge back yard, not a contained run.
We have an acre fenced in but the grass has really taken a beating this past summer.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
inside dogs. they go outside to potty and get walks. Where we live they're not allowed to be outside without supervision, plus the yard is pretty tiny so it wouldnt be worth it. I try to take them to one of the more open areas a couple times a week and let them run around on the 20ft lead.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah good, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel really guilty for having my dogs in an apartment. It's allowed, just a huge pet deposit. But anyways we are looking for a bigger place because it's just too small for 2 big dogs. We take them out to play at least twice a day, sometimes more, but I just hate them having to be inside a small place.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
My dogs sleep inside and exercise outdoors. I wouldn't have it any other way. I wouldn't stick a son or daughter outside to live, so why would I have a dog live out there? Family members live and sleep indoors where it's warm and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Inside dogs here too. I have a small place, maybe 800 square feet, but I also have five acres. It is wonderful to be able to step out and play fetch and let the dogs be dogs. But they are never outside on their own, I take them out for play, for potties, for training. We also do leash walks, and that is going to be the regular way they are going to be exercised over the winter, because of the snow and cold and dark, which does not lend itself to playing ball that well.

Also for the dog smell, feeding a raw diet will do wonders for getting rid of that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Our three dogs are definitely part of the family and they are inside dogs. They go outside to potty, exercise and have supervised play. Well, our 14 yo will go outside to lay in the sun and she'll stay out there unsupervised, but I'm not worried about her running off. She can hardly walk that well. :(

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
Just don't forget Marti and leave her out! Well...in FL it isn't as big a deal.
When Clover was older she would just go lay down outside and I'd have nightmares that she would freeze! I still(after two years of her passing) look out front to see if she is out. There were a few times that she was, when we thought she was inside.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
My dogs are primarily indoor dogs, though we do plenty of outdoor leashed walks, training, and play time. The dogs are only outside for potty breaks and to move the cat in from the garage because dodger hates the cat and wants to eat her for a snack. Occasionally I'll put dodger out for 20-30 mins by himself supervised of course.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
My mix is an inside dog, I guess. He goes outside for exercise and bathroom and stuff like that.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Guess mine are 50-50, they love being outside because we live out in nowhere and they have lots of room to run and play and explore. But when they're tired they want to sleep inside, I imagine it's a protection thing, they don't really relax until they're inside and know nothing can get to them. Our last gsd was mostly outside, she had access to the garage and laundry room but really preferred the great outdoors.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Inside dogs here too. I have a small place, maybe 800 square feet, but I also have five acres. It is wonderful to be able to step out and play fetch and let the dogs be dogs. But they are never outside on their own, I take them out for play, for potties, for training. We also do leash walks, and that is going to be the regular way they are going to be exercised over the winter, because of the snow and cold and dark, which does not lend itself to playing ball that well.

Also for the dog smell, feeding a raw diet will do wonders for getting rid of that.
Boy, just about what i have, except i only have 1/3 of an acre.:( But the back yard is big enough they get plenty of running and we also have a 33x18 swimming pool that they use in the summer.:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I could add, where I live we have coyotes, bears and cougars and they've been known to carry off good sized dogs. The other morning I seen a large male coyote in the side lot by our house while I was playing ball with Kelly. She alerted, but stayed by me until it went off into the woods.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just don't forget Marti and leave her out! Well...in FL it isn't as big a deal.
When Clover was older she would just go lay down outside and I'd have nightmares that she would freeze! I still(after two years of her passing) look out front to see if she is out. There were a few times that she was, when we thought she was inside.
Lol, she gives one loud bark when she wants to come in, but most of the time we'll let her out for a while and then go get her. Between the five of us, we're sure she isn't out there too long, especially in the summer.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.